my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Favorite Solo (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Favorite Solo
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 20, 2002 23:42     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah! Steve Howe is badass!
I completely forgot about him.
He had some really good Solos with ASIA too!
'Soul Survivor'
'Heat of the Moment'

|  IP: Logged
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 21, 2002 05:51     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Trey Azagthoth! The solos he plays on 'Gateways to Annihilation' are great. I also liked the solo part of Megadeth's 'Hangar 18' ever since I heard it first.

Besides this all, I think Frank Zappa is a bit underrated here. He did an amazing job on trax like 'Outside now' and 'Watermelon in Easter Hay' (to name just a few).

And, of course Robert Fripp rules too.

Let's not forget about Piggy too.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 21, 2002 06:06     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Solos should be FUNCTIONAL. Something people like Yngwie J. Malmsteen don't understand. That sort of guitar players is technical yet boring.

About other solists: as a drummer I never liked drum solos. I like functional drumming only.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 21, 2002 10:32     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AngelRat....Drum Solos. I agree. I never really like most of them either. I am also a Drummer. But!...

Outstanding Drum Solos i can think of:

Carl Palmer - Karn Evil 9 (Live)
Buddy Rich - Cant deny that guy's solos were classic!

I wont mention Neil Peart because he kinda bores me. Not saying that he isnt Great as well...just...not into his Arrogant style.

WORST Drum Solo i have heard (or can think of):
That Drummer on 'Inna Gadda Da Vida' by Iron Butterfly. GEEZE! I can do that whole thing with my Feet and Sleeping!

(Was this a Guitar Solo Thread?...oops!)

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: King Kula Shaker ]

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 21, 2002 12:05     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula Shaker:
AngelRat....Drum Solos. I agree. I never really like most of them either. I am also a Drummer. But!...

Outstanding Drum Solos i can think of:

Carl Palmer - Karn Evil 9 (Live)
Buddy Rich - Cant deny that guy's solos were classic!

I wont mention Neil Peart because he kinda bores me. Not saying that he isnt Great as well...just...not into his Arrogant style.

WORST Drum Solo i have heard (or can think of):
That Drummer on 'Inna Gadda Da Vida' by Iron Butterfly. GEEZE! I can do that whole thing with my Feet and Sleeping!

(Was this a Guitar Solo Thread?...oops!)

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: King Kula Shaker ]

Ok, the Carl Palmer solo on Karn Evil 9 is closest I can think of when it comes to drum solos. I like Mr. Peart when he's just playing Rush songs, no solos.

Was this REALLY a guitar solo thread? Oh well, Miles Davis plays cool trumpet solos.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 21, 2002 13:32     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah!...And that Trombone Player in CHICAGO aint bad either!

What about Away's Accordian! He does a mean solo with that one!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 22, 2002 06:04     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
[QBI think more songs should have Bass solos in them. Wouldn't that be cool?[/QB]

Cliff Burton - Anesthesia 'Pulling Teeth'.
Best solo on any instrument ever. Christ, that man could play.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 22, 2002 06:42     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jean-Jacques Moréac from Misanthrope is Cliff's rightful heir IMHO. You should see him live. The Man has magic fingers!
Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted July 22, 2002 08:53     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I totally agree with Hatross, El Indio and almost totally with AngelRat , i'm not a musician so i can't say if piggy is a god of the guitar but when i listen to his music i warp to another dimension!!!!!. As AngelRat says solo's should be functional but i like every instrument's solo's (guitar, bass ,drums and vocals).
I like to remenber the overreaction initial bass and the guitar solo's in live for violence, War and pain ,iron gang, to the death!,killing technology, overreaction, tornado, tribal convictions, chaosmonger, fix my heart, the prow, nanoman and phobos.
Ops maybe i mentioned too many songs, but what can i do...

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted July 24, 2002 16:46     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love all Hendrix, Beck, Page, Moore, J.L.Hooker,Vaughan, Cacophony, Gambale,...stuff, but the best hard-rock/metal solo of the history is maybe...

RICHIE BLACKMORE - HIGHWAY STAR

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 24, 2002 17:42     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YES!!

You mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughan!
I cant believe i missed him.

The day he died was a VERY sad day for me.

What about Steve Miller?
Or my Fav. Blues Man...Robin Trower!

I will throw Buggs Henderson in there too!

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted July 25, 2002 16:51     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
S.R.Vaughan was a really master: in my opinion it was the deamon of Jimi Hendrix living in his body ... It's his cover of Hendrix's Little Wing that demonstrate it: it's impossibile for me not to cry when i listened to this song...

You very lucky Warcorpse...

drift
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 83

posted July 25, 2002 23:50     Profile for drift   Email drift     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I must admit I'm not a big fan of solos unless they fit in with the songs rythym, though I think Into my Hypercube is a great solo by Piggy. Love Godflesh's cover of Those about to Rock, with the solo replaced by a drawn out piece of intenese feedback.
Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted August 06, 2002 17:24     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mezcalhead, the solo in question is the one for none of the above
i was in awe of the speed when i first heard it, too

i thought of a couple of specific solos:
the solo for snowblind (black sabbath)
and the solo for prodigal son(iron maiden)
especially murray's solo, he uses a delay sometimes, this is one of them, and it's so cool
he does it on another life, too

and maybe the solo for annihilate this week(black flag)

i taped a henry rollin's spoken word performance on comedy central friday and he was right in the middle of making fun of iron maiden and my tape ran out, what a bummer, i'm gonna have to tape it again, if it's on again

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 06, 2002 19:04     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Phobia. Yeah, None of the Above. Now that is a bad ass solo. I always wondered how anybody could play that fast. And its short if I remember correctly. Just a little blast that comes out of nowhere and rips your face off.

I like that Snowblind solo too.

Have to say that I love solos when they're done right. If I pay for a show I want to see the guitar player do something impressive. Something I would have trouble or find impossible to pull off. That's why I like going to see good jazz. Its incredibly hard music to master.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan