my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Favorite Solo (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Favorite Solo
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 15, 2002 16:49     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What are some of your favorite solos of all time? I'm looking for guitar work mostly since this is a VoiVod website. But to be quite honest, my all-time favorite "run" is by Wynton Marsalis on his song Sister Cheryl. Check that tune out some time Vodheads. One of the greats.

My fav Piggy solo is on Freedoom. How can anyone play lines that fast? The way the notes just seem to explode out of nowhere.

My favorite soloist in metal has to be Cavestany from DA. The talent of this guy is boundless. I just saw a concert vid of them on the Act III tour in Detroit and he was UNREAL. Evil Priest killed!

|  IP: Logged
Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted July 15, 2002 17:02     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i'm not gonna pinpoint one solo as that would take effort but..
i love the interaction of adrian smith's and dave murray's solos on killers-seventh son
iron maiden is my favorite band
almost as near and dear to my guitar lovin' soul is the solos on them-the eye of pete blakk and andy larocque
cheesy in places but i still love it to death

angus young and ace frehley made me realize i wanted to be a guitar god, when i was 4 or 5

and of course tony iommi

piggy is a little too redundant and soulless solo-wise for me but it fits the music

honorable mentions: dave mustaine and kurdt vanderhoof and craig wells of metal church

i've only listed metal, others include jerry garcia, jimi hendrix and jimmy page

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Mr. Phobia ]

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 15, 2002 17:31     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't like solos. I think they're big jerky wanks. Just my opinion.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 15, 2002 17:58     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also not too fond of solos.. very few actually add to the song rather than taking away from it. However, i like what Piggy does. He knows that less is more.

It used to really piss me off when i started playing guitar and everyone i knew would spend hours trying to learn solos note for note. I've always rather concentrate on learning the actual riffs and songs. Even today, some 13 years later, i still dont like solos and never worry about that sorta thing...

uh.. what was the question again?

Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted July 15, 2002 18:01     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
I don't like solos. I think they're big jerky wanks. Just my opinion.

I'd have to agree for the most part. I think when done right (ie. the instrument is "featured" but still remains structured within and around the backing players) it can stand up.

The only solo that really jumps to mind is the first few bars of the Aqualung solo (performed by Martin Barre, Jethro Tull). That's really catchy and helps develop the music. Then it gets a little wanky and repetitive.

HatrossRig
VoivodFan
Member # 80

posted July 15, 2002 18:58     Profile for HatrossRig   Email HatrossRig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i can appreciate a good solo if it fits the song and isnt just a wank session (unless ofcourse, if the whole song itself is a wank session, like spastic ink songs)
but favorite solo? thats too hard to answer. panorama has some pretty cool leads

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 15, 2002 19:14     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Phobia,

Piggy's solos "redundant" and "soulless". Are we talking about Piggy from the band VoiVod here? I'm confused.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 15, 2002 20:43     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like solos that are tasteful. Not all technical just 'cause the guy can play it.
My 2 favorite guitar solos are both by Piggy and they're both in The Prow. After those I'd pick:
Glenn Tipton's solo in Beyond The Realms Of Death. The trade offs between him and K.K. rule. Especially in The Sentinel and Desert Plains.
David Gilmour's solos in Comfortably Numb (the outro especially) and the solos in Shine On You Crazy Diamond.
Just about everything by Dave Murray and Adrian Smith but especially Number Of The Beast, The Trooper, Powerslave and Blood Brothers (so I guess Janick Gers too).
Mantas' solos in Nightmare and 7 Gates Of Hell are awesome too, but I'm biased 'cause I'm a big Venom fan.

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: Nuclear Vampire ]

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 15, 2002 22:19     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Belew & or Fripp (depending on the Crimson era

Gilmore is usually always great in soloing

Steve Morse always tasteful and unique blending styles

Steve Wilson adds very fitting solos to Porcupine Tree tunes, they never sound out of place

And I'll second the votes for Cavestany and Mustaine...very original in their own way

Stone Gossard and Mike McCready are very important to the Pearl Jam sound (yes, I'm a huge fan)

Jim Matheos in Fates Warning is certainly talented as fuck

Last but not least I think Piggy has great solos ever since Killing Tech when he started to come into his own style

HatrossRig
VoivodFan
Member # 80

posted July 15, 2002 23:37     Profile for HatrossRig   Email HatrossRig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
actaully my favoroite solo, after thinking about it for a while, would have to be
jimi handrix - catfish blues

Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted July 16, 2002 00:15     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i try to be ambiguous as possible at all times

my piggy comment can be considered as a compliment:soulless and redundant=cold and robotic to fit w/ their science fictiony vibe

but it seems to me he does the same thing in every solo and it's almost always the pentatonic scale

but i shouldn't have criticized at all considering how good of a guitar player he is
i guess i was saying he doesn't play my favorite guitar solos although i think they add to the songs because of their brevity
if they were longer, one might become bored w/ it

are you sure you meant freedoom because i just listened to it and i don't remember hearing a fast part?

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Mr. Phobia ]

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 16, 2002 01:15     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for clearing that one up. Ok, you're making more sense now.

Actually I believe I was thinking of Nuage Fractal instead of Freedoom. A friend of mine has got my Angel Rat and I hadn't listened to it in like 6 months. Try Nuage and tell me if that's it. It's incredibly fast.

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted July 16, 2002 03:21     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess its up to me to make the token Ozzy reference... I've always been a big fan of Randy Rhoads; Diary of a Madman is my alltime favorite Ozzy album. I also loved alot of Jake E. Lee's work especially on the Bark at the Moon album. Anyone ever get into Jakes post Ozzy band, Badlands? I tried to get into it but just couldn't; something was missing. Ozzy? As far as Zakk Wylde goes, my favorite song is probably Miracle Man. Something about this dude has always bothered me for some reason. I've always been inspired by the guitar slinging by bands like Maiden, Priest, and Motorhead. I'm definately not Malmsteen's or Mcalpine's biggest fan but I like alot of their tunes. Anyone ever get into Malmsteen's old band Alcatrazz? I got into them for a while. As far as other axe slingers go, I always have liked Joe Satriani as well as early work by Michael Schenker and (dare I say this in public) Vandenburg. Am I starting to ramble? Must be time for bed! Zzzzzzzz... What!?! Did I mention Ace Frehley and Bob Kulick? Few people realize that Bob played on some tracks for the best double album of all time: KISS ALIVE 2!!!

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: El Indio ]

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 16, 2002 05:15     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
However, i like what Piggy does. He knows that less is more.?

The Skul speaks the truth there!
I always listened to Piggy's short solo phrases and wondered if he'd play this or that particlar one again but nope! I have grown the strong idea that it is a definite trademark for originality and creativeness to come up w/ a good phrase and play it just once in a whole track. Some drums patterns on the first Nocturnus effort also match this scheme.

quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
It used to really piss me off when i started playing guitar and everyone i knew would spend hours trying to learn solos note for note. I've always rather concentrate on learning the actual riffs and songs. Even today, some 13 years later, i still dont like solos and never worry about that sorta thing...

The Skul speaks the truth there! I remember when I auditionned for my first band... The other guitar player would show off how good he was at soloing over major & minor & lydian & pentatonic scales(and darn was he good!) and then asked yours truly for a solo:
NOPE! I said... He looked really depressed, not understanding why I wasn't interested in soloing. duh!

And hey Mr. Phobia, glad you cleared the matter... I myself wouldn't call Piggy redundant. Kirk Hammet IS redundant (since Puppets).

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: The Outcast ]

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 16, 2002 05:24     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmh but the subject was about the best solos right?
A few come to my mind:
- Tommy T. Baron in "Read my Scars"
- Nocturnus' Davis/McNenney in "Nocturne in B minor" (very strong)
- Piggy at the very end of Nuclear war
- Denner/Sherman in "Evil"
- Any Andy Larocque on Abigail and Them (he then became rather redundant)

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 16, 2002 05:56     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that a solo HAS to be a part of the song. A great example of this is from Zakk Wylde on Ozzy's "No More Tears" song. I know that alot of what he does isn't blinding , but on that tune I think the build up of the solo completely compliments what's going on around it. That makes it one of my faves of all time. Just cause it sits so well on the song. There are far greater solos, that one just comes to mind as having the perfect feel for what's going on. That's what I like to hear.
As for Piggy... Most of his riffs are like a solo!! SO much going on, and still rocking!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 16, 2002 05:59     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've only recently started putting solos in my songs. Like Brian May says, it should be, ahem, like the song is a house and the solo is like a window you look out of whilst passing through..Anyway, they're my songs so screw anyone who says I can't.

My five favourites:
1:- Glen Tippton - Between the Hammer & the Anvil
(That tapping thing is simply the greatest moment in music, ever.)

2:- Marco Pironni - Here Comes The Grump
(Adam Ant's guitaist playing some real nice, emotive Link Wray stuff.)

3:- The Beyond - One Step Too Far
(Mad angular stuff of genius. Also features the only acceptable use of slap bass in a song that isn't by the Chilli's.)
4:- Steve Howe - Gates of Delerium
(Yes's finest moment, true orgiastic stuff)

5:- Alex Lifeson - Red Barchetta
(also everyting of the Moving Pictures album apart from the last track which sucks)

As for Piggy, his rhythm playing is were it's at. Brian May might have a solo sound and style all of his own, but how many rhythm guitar players can you say that of?

If you here any band playing dissonant chords you immediatly think 'Oh, thats Voivod in there'. Just like Pagey, the guy's a rhythm genius, no mistake.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 16, 2002 08:28     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Solos?

Is this thread for Guitar Solo's only?
Because i just gotta mention that everything Dennis DeYoung does on Keyboards for STYX is killer! The ROCK Styx, mind you, not the crappy "Adult Top-40 Contemporary" Songs like 'Babe.' I hate that song!

Guitar...
Tommy Shaw / James Young from STYX on 'Miss America.'

The Solos in the HANGNAIL songs 'Into the Ether,' 'The Watcher' and 'Riffmeister Jesus.' Those RULE!

DEATH AND TAXES Solos are ALL killer!

RUSH (Alex) 'Working Man' from the first album.

There are many more...but i aint awake yet.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 16, 2002 11:12     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I forgot to mention 2 more of my fave solos:
Gilmour's outro on High Hopes. That fuckin' sends a chill down my spine.
The solo in Bark At The Moon. Wow.

I think more songs should have Bass solos in them. Wouldn't that be cool?

JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted July 19, 2002 06:02     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't really like clever/widdly soloing for the sake of it - fuck that just put another riff in there!
But ok if I have to go for someone - something with real attack/hairsonthebackoftheneckfactor:

Angus/Hendrix

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted July 20, 2002 01:54     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tony Iommi is schizo on guitar. Murray/Smith always tight. Gary Holt/Rick Hunolt are fun to listen to. EVERYTHING Denis D'Amour does. (That's Piggy, right?) Guys from Destruction. aaaaaaand....KERRY KING!! this question is too tough
Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted July 20, 2002 09:24     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Frank Marino - "Loved by You"
Murray-Smith tradeoffs (especially the
song "Powerslave")
Iommi - "Into the Void" (including the
riffage)
Tipton-Downing (especially "Beyond the
Realms of Death" & the live "Genocide")
Gilmour - all of em
Barre - "Hunting Girl"
Angus Young - live version of "Let there
be Rock"
M. Schenker - live version of "Rock Bottom"
Lifeson - "After Image"
Blackmore - "A Light in the Black"
Mustaine-Friedman - tradeoffs on "Holy
Wars: The Punishment Due
Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser - lots of em
Piggy - everything

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted July 20, 2002 12:34     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The man called piggy SOUL-LESS ?? WHAT THE HELL ?? and you say dave mustaine has honorable mention. gosh man mustaine sucks compared to piggy, AngelRat solos are some of my favorite vod,tons of feeling in there.Have another listen, Everybody plays their instrument in their own way and i have to say i like so much different stuff my list would go on and on,like most everybodys would. But this is the only band webpage i visit or post to, Not even my other favorite guitarist Joe Satriani. Piggy is just too origonal,nobody else sounds like him ,sure it can be recreated(h) proved that. but to be able to mix ,punk,deathmetal,psycadelic,and classic is just amazing. Piggy may = less is more,yes so much more. sorry if my defensive posture crept out again

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: Hatross ]

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted July 20, 2002 18:39     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nuclear Vampire recently posted:
quote:
I think more songs should have Bass solos in them. Wouldn't that be cool?

Fuckin A!!! I love bass! So much that I even tried playing one for a while though I must admit I needed a better amp (I had a small Roland amp which was great for ones bedroom but not much more!). Nothing better than a good song with some great basslines! Alot of times it really makes the song!

Wzmann
VoivodFan
Member # 84

posted July 20, 2002 21:39     Profile for Wzmann   Email Wzmann     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Steve Howe - Live version of Starship Trooper

ZeeElementalist

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan