my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » DRI

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DRI
JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted July 14, 2002 06:05     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ah yes, fellow 'vodians - I shall be reliving those glory days of 80's thrash when DRI play London next week! See if can get another scar to go on my forehead to go with the one they gave me when they played in the 80's.
Anybody heard any newer stuff from them ?- I haven't heard/seen any stuff after Definition.

|  IP: Logged
Serpent
VoivodFan
Member # 43

posted July 14, 2002 07:23     Profile for Serpent   Email Serpent     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hee, I've seen them a few days ago in Holland and they were fucking great!!!
Prepare for some damage!!

After Definition they released a live album and an album called Full Speed Ahead. That is one hell of an album and the title says it all. It's a mix of Crossover and Four Of A Kind.

Serpent.

JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted July 14, 2002 07:43     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
looks like I can kiss goodbye to the few teeth I have left.
JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted July 19, 2002 05:18     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, the gig was last night and a fine one it was too - despite the best efforts of the London Underground to fuck it up for everyone (no trains due to "industrial action")hence a rather thin turnout even for the Garage which holds about 500, I believe.Some good supports from Whizzwood(?),Sick on the bus and another band I didn't catch the name of.
The only downer was that after not having played here for 14 years - I thought maybe DRI could've played for longer than 55mins - but there was the borough of Islington noise curfew to observe after all.
Ah it was just like the good old days my friends.Now I'm saving my quids for Exodus in december.......now that will be madness!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 19, 2002 07:43     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man... I would have loved to have gone to that. Too strapped for cash at the moment! Did they play "Suit & Tie Guy"?
JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted July 19, 2002 07:45     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yes they fuckin' did!
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 19, 2002 10:54     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Err... What about "Violent Pacification"? Did they?
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 19, 2002 17:29     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What is the best DRI album to buy? I had a tape of there's a long time ago but it got lost in the shuffle. Saw the Suit and Tie Guy vid recently and would really like to get back into them.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 19, 2002 17:37     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get the album Dealing With It. It fuckin' rules. Their sound got really watered down starting with the Crossover album. Thrash Zone is so-so. The title track blows. 4 Of A Kind is really good.
I've seen D.R.I. 3 times and each time I had a blast. Great band live. A guy fell off the top of the P.A. tower at the Thrash Zone show. He had to be carried out by his buddies. http://www.dirtyrottenimbeciles.com/

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: Nuclear Vampire ]

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 19, 2002 17:39     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Nuke. Didn't they do some strange concept album about the dinosaurs or something one time? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 19, 2002 18:55     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Thanks Nuke. Didn't they do some strange concept album about the dinosaurs or something one time? Or am I thinking of someone else?

LOL!! Dude, I think you've been sniffing glue again. I'm not sure who you are thinking of. Iron Maiden's Quest For Fire perhaps?

JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted July 19, 2002 18:59     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SlaytanicWehrmacht:
Err... What about "Violent Pacification"? Did they?

ooooohhhh yes.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 19, 2002 23:03     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They did??? Whoooooooaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 20, 2002 09:34     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
LOL!! Dude, I think you've been sniffing glue again. I'm not sure who you are thinking of. Iron Maiden's Quest For Fire perhaps?

Ha, ha. No, my gluesniffing days are long gone. I can't remember who that band was. It was more of a concept concerning the creation of the earth or something. But it was way unexpected from this kind of group. Damn, who was that? It was a band similar to DRI.

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted July 20, 2002 09:43     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good stuff to get reacquainted with
Mezcal. I really like CROSSOVER.
That's the one NucVamp called the
beginning of "watered down". It's a
good one to me though. I never heard
the releases prior to that one, so he's
probably right, he usually is about
these matters.

Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted July 21, 2002 11:10     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mezcalhead, my guess is you're talking about DBC's album Universe...
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 21, 2002 11:38     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! THat's the one. Thanks dude for clearing that up for me. I knew I hadn't completely lost it. What do you think about that album?
Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted July 21, 2002 12:10     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Universe is a VERY good album, but their first effort, Dead Brain Cells is, IMHO, even better. Tracks like Monument, Lies, Power And Corruption, to name a few, just blows me away!!! (The CD re-release include both album.) You'll find infos on DBC at www.dbcuniverse.com

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: maatkk ]

Serpent
VoivodFan
Member # 43

posted July 21, 2002 15:18     Profile for Serpent   Email Serpent     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That Kurt Brecht is one crazy son of a bitch.
I saw them during their Crossover tour in 1987. After playing a few songs Kurt took a dive in the pit, slammed around and crawled back on stage. He did that a few times without even hurting himself.
Way to go, Kurt!!!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 22, 2002 05:56     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Thrash Zone is so-so. The title track blows.

oh man... I forgot about that. I was trying to think why I hadn't listened to them in a while. That album was piss poor. It turned me right off them. 4 of a kind rules though! Time to dust it off...

Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted July 22, 2002 07:38     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As a matter of fact, Dealing with it was my first LP ever... That's a nice way to start a record collection!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan