my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Let me know... (before I go)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let me know... (before I go)
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 10, 2002 04:31     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone know when and where Snake's last show with Voïvod took place before he left in 1994??? And when did Eric play his first show with Voïvod???

Also, someone mentionned earlier that the first Voïvod CDs would be re-released... I came across the VH-1 site lately and look... The Noise-era albums are granted a 05-21-02 release date...
WTF? I mailed Noise a few weeks ago and they answered they had no such plans, even though they were thinking about it.

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 10, 2002 09:49     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Outcast:
Does anyone know when and where Snake's last show with Voïvod took place before he left in 1994??? And when did Eric play his first show with Voïvod???

Last with Snake: Anchorage, Alaska early '94
First with Eric: Montreal, july or august '94

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 10, 2002 10:15     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Could he actually play his Blower Bass with all that gear on?

Still wondering actually...
The same also goes for the spike-bracelet thing Kerry King used to put on at the time...

How???

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 10, 2002 11:54     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"The same also goes for the spike-bracelet thing Kerry King used to put on at the time..."

Christ yes! I can't even wear a watch if I'm playing guitar, let alone that dirty great big fuck off row-'o-nails wrist band he had!

And Lemmy wears so many huge chunky rings I can't quite figure out how his fingers can reach the fretboard.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 10, 2002 17:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was backstage years ago after a Slayer show (when Overkill opened) and there was a room the had all the guitars and Kerry's armband was in there. It was a slab of leather with 6" nails in in!!! Incredible looking, kinda like a tourture device!!! If any stage diver came close to him he could impale them on his arm. Gotta be pretty strong to hold that arm up, and play guitar all night!!!
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted July 11, 2002 00:13     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Absolutely right, you really have to be strong to wear that entire outfit. First, they were not 6 inch nail but more like 3 even for Kerry King, and because they are so close together, it couldn’t really hurt much if someone get spike by it. I had a sort of glove which had 1 inch stud, which were illegal in north america but I bought those from a NY biker shop, man that was a weapon. But as far as weapons go, getting axed by my bass would have done the job! Btw I did made all the bracelet and stud weapon myself, just had lots of time on my hands, I suppose. In total I had at some point over 35 pounds of metal. Snake had those boots for moto-cross which were impossible to break in, but they were a good look. He also had the famous gas mask and the smoke machine which was very nasty. I remember a show in San-Antonio, Texas were Snake came on stage for Voivod wearing the gas mask and holding the smoke machine which broke down a second after he put his mask on. Not knowing that the machine wasn’t working properly he went on spraying the smoke over the crowd, which at some point turn straight back to very hot oil instead of burning. After the show we met a kid that had serious burn over his face, we took him backstage and give him some first aid, then gave him all the merchandise he wanted it. We felt so bad about what happened to him. But he was happy.

As far as playing with all that extra hardware goes, you just have to practice for a while with them on, perhaps doing a little weight lifting would help,

The last show we did with all those silly outfits was during the first US tour with Celtic Frost and it was Phoenix, Arizona, and at over 115 degree in a shitty club, we just couldn’t bear them any longer so we gave them up. I don’t have those anymore, which I now regret since I could always sell them for cash on ebay,

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 11, 2002 03:38     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blacky:
I don’t have those anymore, which I now regret since I could always sell them for cash on ebay,

LOL! You may have cashed in a lot out of those for sure...

May I ask what happened to them? Did you just throw them away or give them to your younger brother or ...

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 11, 2002 05:48     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
keep your eyes open next time you're in those charity shops, folks... you never know what might turn up!!!
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 11, 2002 08:42     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HA! Voivodburns!
Bet that kid is proud of those burns now.
I would be!
"Look!...I got this when Snake set my face on fire!...and this when Blacky axed me with his Bass...!"

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 11, 2002 09:00     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey that show in San Antonio was filmed.. I got Celtic Frost's part of that, and i know the Voivod part of it is available too. I must find it now. Oh yes i do.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 16, 2002 18:42     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who was funnier looking?
Early Armored Saint
Omen
or
MANOWAR
?

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 16, 2002 19:59     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Armored Saint.
They have my Vote as most funny.
Like them though. Pretty cool Metal to have on in the Background.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 16, 2002 22:09     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My vote would go to MANOWAR the Vikings of metal...do they still wear their pillage gear and carry axes and swords, and wear fur?
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 17, 2002 05:55     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Spikes rule, but Kerry did go overboard with the Home Depot nail gauntlet.[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: warcorpse ]

Man, I went to see Slayer last night in London.... no armoury, or anything, but man, they fucking ripped the place apart. Couldn't believe how much old stuff they played! Die By The Sword, The Antichrist, Hell Awaits, Mandatory Suicide, Chemical Warfare, Raining Blood , South Of Heaven... Unbelievable! The place went nuts!!
I was thinking: "If Slayer can stilll rip like this, then I have NO doubts that Voivod will be fucking stunning when they get over here!"
C'mon Voivod! Make our year and get on the road!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 17, 2002 07:28     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
h you're a lucky bastard!
I too definitely think that Slayer (still) play great shows. I was watching this video from Eurockéennes 2000 lately and yes it's killer. I like the way *Evil Araya* introduces the songs sometimes...

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 17, 2002 13:27     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahh man, H you are a lucky bastard! I saw Slayer late last year, right before Paul Bostaph left the band, and I was rather disapointed as I thought it was a pretty lame performance... Dave Lombardo makes all the difference in the world for those guys! I hope they come around here one more time while Dave's still playing with 'em!

Hey Outcast!
Email me at voivod667@hotmail.com! I tried emailing you something this morning but your address seems to be DOA!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 17, 2002 17:23     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WOW I didn't know Lombardo joined back up with his old mates...he's a fuckin machine!!!!

Are there plans for a new album with Dave or is he just in it for the tour?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 18, 2002 05:37     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah man.. Lombardo made all the fucking difference. I'm not just saying that to be 'old school' or shit like that, but the band sounded so much fresher with him there. The energy was through the roof. Gig of the year so far.... are Voivod gonna offer a challenge?!!
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 18, 2002 11:07     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've always thought Lombardo was the perfect thrash drummer and essentially Slayer's version of John Bonham (unreplacable!)... The man's drumming is SOOO tight! He is timing perfection, and Slayer's music needs him bad...

Schroeder,
Dave's just been hired for touring commitments, but people are saying that the band is wanting to try and get him to stay... I dunno, I just hope they swing through so I can see the real Slayer one last time!

After picking up Testament's "The Gathering" album lately, I actually wish he'd just stay with those guys! Man, that album rules! Talk about sounding fresh! Why the hell don't more people talk about those guys?!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 18, 2002 22:26     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Testament has almost never ceased to impress me, every release was great, and they just kept getting heavier and better at what they do. Demonic had too much of the 'cookie monster' vocals but Gathering was GOD-LIKE!!!

I wonder if Lombardo would be happy back in Slayer? He got to expand a bit by playing with GRIP INC, and The project he did with Mike Patton, and I just wonder if Slayer would allow him the freedom to express himself. I think Slayer would totally benefit from having Dave back behid the skins and having him help write some different music.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 18, 2002 22:49     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
Testament has almost never ceased to impress me, every release was great, and they just kept getting heavier and better at what they do. Demonic had too much of the 'cookie monster' vocals but Gathering was GOD-LIKE!!!

I wonder if Lombardo would be happy back in Slayer? He got to expand a bit by playing with GRIP INC, and The project he did with Mike Patton, and I just wonder if Slayer would allow him the freedom to express himself. I think Slayer would totally benefit from having Dave back behid the skins and having him help write some different music.

I read in a recent interview with Kerry that he said," he didn't know if Dave still had the chops to play with them." Was he kidding? Had to have been. But I remember that he sounded serious. If so, what a prick.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 18, 2002 23:57     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HAHA! Yeah, I remember reading that too! It kinda seem like Kerry King doesn't listen to anyone else but Slayer sometimes... and he seems a bit of an idiot. Lombardo is amazing and is technically a far better musician than any other members of the band... when you get right down to it.

What WAS up with that guy in Grip Inc. anyway? Nice hair Billy!

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted July 19, 2002 03:44     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I saw them at the Starfish Room a couple years ago and man, when that guy walked on stage, you should have seen the looks on the faces of everyone in the audience! It was so unexpected! I immediatly burst out laughing and almost spilled my drink all over myself! Afterwords I felt kind of bad for laughing but man, the guy reminded me of some sort of cross between the Mod Squad and The Melvins! That guy must get weird reactions from people all the time!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan