my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » What do you listen to a lot besides Voivod (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: What do you listen to a lot besides Voivod
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted July 06, 2002 15:27     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am wondering about the music you all listen to besides Voivod. This is what i listen to alot:

Tool - Lateralus
Slayer - everything

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 06, 2002 16:12     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, there's Voivod, then... Everything else.

Lately? alot of Dio. Still riding on my post-show trip.

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted July 06, 2002 16:37     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This week it's Sentenced, King Crimson's
RED. When I was cutting grass in this
'Bama heat a little bit ago, THE ETHEREAL
MIRROR was in my head. So, after a
shower & a beer run, it'll be Cathedral.

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted July 06, 2002 17:39     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh...& Nate's band, Witch Mountain,
gets regular rotation. Still waiting to
get my hands on some Hangnail.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 06, 2002 17:40     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BEER RUN!??
Did someone say BEER RUN?
I'd like a 24 Elsenor please.

Listening a LOT to lately:

1. Hangnail - Clouds in the Head
2. Holocaust - The Nightcomers
3. Porcupine Tree - All that i can (thanks to Schroeder)
4. King Crimson - (DVD) Deja VROOOM
5. Nektar - All that i have (thanks to someone on this forum who suggested it a long time ago)

6. Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs (and everything else)
7. Superjoint Ritual - Use once and destroy (just got this one...it is KILLER!)
8. Kyuss
9. Mekong Delta
10. Death and Taxes

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 06, 2002 17:57     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lately these CDs have been getting played lots:

Iced Earth - Night Of The Stormrider
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Halford - Crucible
Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin

as for non-metal stuff,lately these have been getting cranked:

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Catherine Wheel - Chrome
Red Rider - Neruda

[ July 06, 2002: Message edited by: Nuclear Vampire ]

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 06, 2002 20:55     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My problem is I like SO MANY different styles of rock music which might explain my cd collection of 3450+ cds.

It ranges from:
VOIVOD, PORCUPINE TREE, KING CRIMSON, HANGNAIL (props to H for a great band...that needs bigger exposure), PEARL JAM, PINK FLOYD, YES, SLAYER, OVERKILL, DREAM THEATER, BUDGIE, DEATH ANGEL, MORDRED, BLACK SABBATH, TOOL, ANATHEMA, KINGS X, GOVT MULE, ANTHRAX, TESTAMENT, THIN LIZZY, BLUE OYSTER CULT, PETE TOWNSHEND, DEEP PURPLE, KANSAS, KONG, SUICIDAL TENDENCIES...I could go on for days with bands I enjoy and have cds from...if you saw my collection you would think I'm totally screwed in the head. Different moods call for different tunes.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 06, 2002 21:59     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a good topic. Other than VV I've been cranking:

The new album from Spiritualized

the new Chemical Bros.

King Crimson

Captain Beefheart

a lot of different string quartet groups
like Turtle Island, and the super group Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, and Mark O'Conner called Appalachain Waltz

Enslaved-Monumension

Prong-Cleansing

Mastadon

Spade Cooley- any other western swing fans on this board? ha, ha

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted July 07, 2002 03:02     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's so many old/new bands I can really get into-besides Voivod(#1)/Exodus/Godflesh/D.R.I-
old stuff only!/Misfits/Samhain/Doom(Japan)/
Jesus Lizard/Kepone/Black Flag/Bad Brains/Raw
Power(Italy)/B.G.K/M.D.C/Men's Recovery Project/
Dead and Gone/Kreator/Rush/Hendrix/Black Sabbath(old early 70's period only)/High On Fire/
Dead Kennedys/Nomeansno/some Pink Floyd/Public Enemy/Einsturzende Nebautem/Destruction/Rigor Mortis(TX)/Victim's
Family/Cramps/The Gaia(Japan)/Sink(Japan)/Killing Joke/Zeni Geva/Tad/Fugazi/Iowa Beef Experience/Minutemen/Arab On Radar/Fishbone/Melvins/X(Australia/LA)/Lazy Cowgirls/Anacrusis/Beyond Possession/JFA/White Zombie/Man or Astroman?/
Gauze/GISM/Cannibal Ox/Sonic Youth/Birthday Party...this is a small sample in my constant search for sounds and sorry for the long example of my own self-indulgence....

JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted July 07, 2002 05:04     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with schroeder on the "music for mood" thing.
here's what's on lately, off the top of my head:
burnt by the sun/prong/entombed/the project hate/turbonegro
/omen st/ceca!/akercocke/tomahawk/sigh/immortal/young gods/the great deceiver/vampyros lesbos st.....and so on.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 07, 2002 05:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't believe I didn't mention FAITH NO MORE/TOMAHAWK, FATES WARNING, TY TABOR, NEIL FINN, CORROSION OF CONFORMITY...definitley always in my listening rotation. Not to mentions hundreds of other groups.

It's cool there are a lot of people hear with W I D E tastes in music. Lots of flavas being represented from the members of this forum.

T&T
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 76

posted July 07, 2002 14:24     Profile for T&T   Email T&T     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
abdullah,bad brains,black sabbath,bathory, budgie,cor,deceased,doomstone,enslaved,king diamond,kreator,morticious,merciful fate,oversoul,pinkfloyd,penance,pentagram prong,place of skulls,revelation,spirit caravan,sodom,slow horse,saint vitus,slayer suicidal tendencies,trouble,the gathering, unorthodox. And on occassion other classic rock, jazz, blues.
T&T
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 76

posted July 07, 2002 14:29     Profile for T&T   Email T&T     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oops, almost left out the master-Paul Chain and good ole electric wizard.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 07, 2002 17:33     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Emlyn K Helicopter
Is this your first experience with the beast that is KING CRIMSON? Larks Tongues In Aspic 1,2, 3, and 4 are all god-like. Fripp and Belew are hands down the 2 most underrated guitar players. If you dig LTIA then you need to listen to FRACTURE, FRAKCTURED, RED and the other instumental masterpieces this band has created.

[ July 07, 2002: Message edited by: schroeder ]

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 08, 2002 03:39     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very true... and I'm only a KC beginner...

Last week's ultimate playlist:
Voïvod - Killing Technology
King Diamond - Them
King Diamond - Abigail
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Voïvod - Hamilton show
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
Septic Flesh - The Ophidian Wheel
Slayer - Captors of sin
Slayer - Hell Awaits

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 08, 2002 05:27     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's what's been rearranging the air molecules around my ears lately:
King Crimson - Discipline
Isis - Oceanic
Godspeed - Slow riot...
The Cult - Dreamtime
Atomic Bitchwax - everything they've done ROCKS!
Electric Wizard - Let us prey
Clutch -Pure rock fury
Dream Theater -6 degrees (first disc only, second one sucks!)
And the usual mix of Zeppelin / Sabbath / ac-dc and, of course the rehearsal tapes I have for the new Voivod album. I wish!!!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 08, 2002 08:29     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Atomic Bitchwax is a fucking cool band name!

Schroeder, I've been into KC for years but only knew their Below-era stuff. I got Red a while back, and I agree - it's god like!

By boss was chucking out some old LP's from his loft and found a Twin-LP (i.e., two records stuck together like a gatefold) of Court of the Crimson King plus Larks Tongues. So I got it, and I had no idea it would be THAT amazing!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 08, 2002 08:38     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For those who still listen to King Diamond/ Mecyful Fate:
Do you still really enjoy the King's vocals like you did when you first heard them (for me this was back in the 80's when they first came out with Nuns Have No Fun)or are they now a bit comical. I have lots of KD & MF cds but have a hard time listening to his vocals, unlike the past when I played the albums all the time!!!

Just wondering

H - I agree disc #2 of the new DT cd '6 Degrees' doesn't compare to disc #1.

NP (actually looping continuously): Porcupine Tree 'Gravity Eyelids' new d/l song from the soon to be released album.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 08, 2002 08:55     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Atomic Bitchwax is a fucking cool band name!

They're a fucking cool band too. Ed Mundell from Monster Magnet plays guitar (amazingly well). They're juat a guitar / bass / drums 3-piece with the coolest psychedelic 70's groove riffs going off all over the place. I'd highly recommend thier first album (which I have on purple vinyl too!). It's self titled, out on Tee Pee records. Go get it!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 08, 2002 10:32     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
Oh yah, Schro, KD's vocals still send a chill down my spine.. especially on the Conspiracy album.

Same to me but with Abigail.
Abigail, Them and The Eye are all time classics IMO, the best KD albums with lots of killer tunes: powerful riffing, strong and impressive vocal lines, real originality.
I can't find those in the latter KD albums, Spiders Lullaby, Voodoo and Graveyard lack the creative side of the previous ones. The last real good KD record dates from 1990 (The Eye). I'm still not sure if the making of an Abigail II can be justified... KD has nothing more to prove after outstanding efforts as Abigail or Them.

I was really impressed the 1st time I heard Melissa. It was so strange that at some point, I thought there were 2 different singers ... I also doubt the pertinence of reforming a cult band like Mercyful Fate after a 10 yrs+ hiatus... And the music lacks the depth of the original line-up albums IMO.

Still, I can enjoy those high-pitched vocals the same way I did in the past.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 08, 2002 14:33     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey MeanMrMustard, I very much dig those Radiohead albums too! I'm suprised so many people like them as they're are definitly not your typical pop band. Can't wait for that next Crimson installment either!

It's funny to see you guys talking about King Diamond! I pretty much always had a problem with his singing and how damn cheesy he is, but I couldn't help but love "Melissa" and "Don't Break The Oath"! I remember seeing Kind Diamond here in Seattle back in 1986 (with Megadeth opening!) and well, his performance was laughable. Not because it was poor musically or anything, it was just so damned cornball! Also note that Megadeth crushed them (this was the original linup in prime form!) It's funny though, I've actually been spinning those two MF albums lately... great music and definitly a part of my musical development.

Other bands I listen to a lot besides Voivod:
- King Crimson: mostly ealier stuff, although I like their more recent albums a lot!
- Clutch: One of my favorite live bands ever! I can't get enough of 'em!
- Enslaved: Just recently got into these guys and now I'm hooked!
- Testament: I've been a big Testament kick lately for some reason... I think buying that "First Strike Still Deadly" reminded me how much I liked "The Legacy" and now I'm going through this whole Testament thing... Man, "Demonic" & "The Gathering" are amazing!
- The Rubes!: "Hokum" is the debut album from Greg Gloomp's band and it fuckin' rocks! The weather's been sunny out here lately and The Rubes has been getting quite a bit of rotation at all the BBQs I've been to lately! Cool, HEAVY, yet very soulful blues rock! Highly recommended!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 08, 2002 14:55     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Last summer was definitely Kid A all the way. This year I dunno, I've been skipping around between stuff like the Fantomas to Peaches to The Hives and so on. I even like that new Chili Peppers single and it's been a long time since they've recorded something that I liked.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 08, 2002 22:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Crimson should be releasing an EP prior to the full length cd...just like they did with Vrooom before Thrak was released. YEA I CAN'T WAIT FOR THOSE.

So the Chilli Peppers are sounding good again, Noitall? I was dissapointed with the last few, but would love to hear them regain the energy of Bood Sugar Sex Magic! I'll probably pick up the new one tomorrow if I'm out.

When I play any King Diamond or Mercyful Fate disc I find I put on the early one's that you all mentioned. Those were the ones that blew me away when they came out. The newer releases didn't have the same effect on me like Mellisa, Abigail, Don't Break the Oath etc. I just have to be in the right mood to listen to him. I remember I used to always crank up KD or MF and sing along. But I'm with X-D on the live shows...they were comical, and I saw them whenever they came thru Baltimore. The plastic baby doll was very laughable

Those into Radiohead should definitley check out Porcupine Tree...lots of influence, from Radiohead.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 09, 2002 05:35     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Haven't heard the new Chillis stuff yet. Really liked the last one though. Just had some good vocal harmonies (which they can never pull off live!!!), but between that and Blood, Sugar.... I thought they were pretty shite. Might have a look at the new one.
I have been getting into the Hives though! They make me laugh. It's so damn simple. Almost the exact opposite of what I usually get into, but they crack me up.
Cannot stand King Diamonds whiney voice myself!!! If I'm in the right mood, it can be funny, but most of the time I wish he'd drop an octave, just to see how it sounds!!! I was never into that whole 'bee-gees' sound, man!!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 09, 2002 05:45     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wanted the new Slayer album but bought Leo Sayer by mistake. Christ, I'm glad I did. Slayer are fucking shite now, but Leo Rocks!!

Quality - You don't see that outside of a Devin Townshend album these days.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan