my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The Return of Death Angel???

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Return of Death Angel???
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 04, 2002 17:46     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DEATHANGEL

[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: Mezcalhead ]

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 04, 2002 18:16     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WHY DOESN'T ANYTHING HAPPEN IN DELAWARE???

That's cool that the original band is together and it would be great to see D.A. and then SWARM the same night!!!!

One of the most under rated metal bands ever.
Between VOIVOD, Death Angel, Mordred and a few other totally original metal bands from back in the day...they never got their 'just rewards'...but it cool that they are still playing.

anomalies
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 72

posted July 05, 2002 09:21     Profile for anomalies   Email anomalies     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You live in Delaware?!?

Me too...haha

Will be moving back to L.A. soon enough...

Made my way over to this board after the voivod.com one died. Saw Death Angel at the TOTT last August in San Francisco...wish I could see this gig too!

Serpent
VoivodFan
Member # 43

posted July 05, 2002 16:17     Profile for Serpent   Email Serpent     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha Death Angel.

Their first album was great but then they changed the music a bit too much for my taste. The second had a few good songs too.
After the release of the first they did a little tour in Europe and they were great.

They perform here in Holland on the Dynamo Open Air festival within a few weeks.

Serpent.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 05, 2002 22:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Anomolies where the fuck you at in Delaware? 2 VODHEDS in Delaware!!! That's incredible!!!

SERPENT, sorry I totally disagree with you about Death Angel's 1st album being their best, and the rest weren't good. DA explored and conquered territories that no other metal band could touch...that's why they sounded so original, and no other band sounds like them. THEY GROOVE...maybe that's what you dislike about their style...but that's why I dig 'em so much. Even when the became 'the Organization' they were GOD-LIKE and now as SWARM they still have what it takes to blow my mind.

oh well we all like things for different reasons.

later

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 06, 2002 05:50     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Warcorpse, I figured you woulda picked 'The Ultra Violence' as your fav, it's a THRASHER.

I'm wondering, what do you enjoy listening to that is not total thrash, or death metal...or are you metal to the core and don't really listen to anything else...just curious?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 06, 2002 09:21     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought DA got progressively better with each release. They realized the limitations of thrash and sought to expand the boundaries a bit by incorporating funk. This really was evident by their third album, Act III. I think they were similar to Mordred in that way. I remember at the time the flood of speed acts on the scene and it was so refreshing to see these guys trying to break out a bit.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 06, 2002 09:46     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I absolutely worshipped the debut (bought it when it came out), absolutely hated the second one (fuckin' horrible), but Act III eventually grew on me. As much as Ultra-Violence is great, it does gets boring after a while, especially since i'm not 13 y.o. anymore. For Act III, i didnt think they shouldve kept the Death Angel name, but it's an album just as valid as the debut. A lot more things goin' on musically too, more dynamics, etc... I love that record.

Just my 2 cents. Carry on now..

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 06, 2002 21:00     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mezcalhead I totally agree with what you said... it's the bands that changed and evolved that really stayed with me and I respected more for trying something different.
I'm not saying I don't still go nuts over Slayer, Testament, Overkill and other bands that stayed the same but continued to write graeat music.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 07, 2002 12:03     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Obviously we know we're right and that they are wrong Schroeder. Ha, ha.

Do you seriously "go nuts" when the next Overkill album comes out? I mean, I wouldn't mind listening to it(and I used to be a big fan) but I wouldn't "go nuts". It would be more like ok, push play, hmmm...that's a cool riff, yeah...etc...I'm just using Overkill as an example. I'd say the exact same thing for the other bands you mentioned cause I know I won't be expecting anything different from previous releases. I remember Kerry King talking about how on Diabolus en Musica he and Jeff had really gone about soloing differently. How they had expanded their improvisations. This is why I bought that album. I liked the songs but I seriously had to question that statement Kerry made. They were making the same runs they'd been doing since the beginning.
My point is that you don't have to be a progressive metal group to grow musically with each new recording. It just takes a different line of thinking. Death Angel was able to do this. Whether you liked their later stuff or not is beside the point. Their growth from the first to last album was proof of their forward-looking mindset.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 07, 2002 17:40     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK I wouldn't "GO NUTS" over the bands like Slayer, Overkill, Testament etc since I know what to expect from them...but I would (and will) GO NUTS when King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Mordred, Voivod, and a few others release new product for the exact reason you mentioned...because I know there will be 'growth' in their music and I will be able to experience something new.

You're also correct about us being RIGHT and everyone else is WRONG!!!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 08, 2002 08:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I with ya on this one Warcorpse.
The last 2 Testament cds were the best of the bunch. I love the way Chuck blends his Death Vocals with his singing. If there are any other singers that are similar let me know, I'd like to hear them.

I like Testament more after Alex left and James Murphy came in.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 08, 2002 14:23     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got this from blabbermouth
Reunited Bay Area metallers DEATH ANGEL performed the following set during their appearance at the Pound in San Francisco, California on Saturday, July 6th:

01. Ultra-Violence (intro)
02. Seemingly Endless Time
03. Evil Priest
04. Voracious Souls
05. Mistress of Pain
06. Veil of Deception
07. Stagnant
08. Bored
09. Thrashers
10. I.P.F.S
11. Kill As One
Encore
12. Wrathchild (IRON MAIDEN cover)
13. Room With A View
14. The Drought (ORGANIZATION song off Savor the Flavor)
15. Discontinued/Stop/Road Mutants/Ultra-Violence (outro) (medley)

Serpent
VoivodFan
Member # 43

posted July 08, 2002 16:19     Profile for Serpent   Email Serpent     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mordred is just another example of a band which used influences that didn't belong in a metalband. I don't want to hear funk, reggae or rap in a metalsong. If I liked that I would buy something else and no metalalbum. That is probably also the main reason why those bands don't excist anymore.
The metalfans didn't want to listen to them and the other sub-cultures never got to hear it. It lookes like digging your own grave, commercially speaking.

But in the end it all comes to one thing and that is your own taste for whatever kind of music YOU like. That's a choice you don't need to explain to anybody. Never.

Serpent.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 08, 2002 19:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Serpent wrote: But in the end it all comes to one thing and that is your own taste for whatever kind of music YOU like. That's a choice you don't need to explain to anybody. Never.

DAMN RIGHT

Great set list by Death Angel, even doing a Maiden classic. I'm surprised they didn't do a DOORS cover, which I've heard them do many times. Wish they were playing on the East coast.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 08, 2002 20:09     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think if you listen to Act3 you're listening to a full-blown metal album. I mean check out the first tune. That one ripped my face off the first time I heard it. There is an element of funk on the album but I would not call them metal/funk. So I guess I was off by comparing them to Mordred. But not in the fact that they were trying to break out of the bounds of the genre. My fav is Discontinued. Beginning with the interweaving guitar lines and then the break into that monstrous riffing. That is some bad shit.

Thanks Vampman for the set list. Man, I bet that was one hell of a show. Cavestany is my all time favorite metal guitarist(hopefully Piggy isn't reading this).

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 08, 2002 22:34     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Death Angel was more GROOVE than Funk. Mordred had more funk/metal/rap/groove thing happenin'.

Cavestany, is certainly near the top of my list also...he's a great lyricist also, and did a cool job on vocal in The Organization.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan