my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Hand of Doom

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hand of Doom
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 28, 2002 11:52     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Has anyone heard Melissa Auf Der Maur's Sabbath cover band, Hand of Doom? I have to admit I would have been more excited about this last year, pre-The Osbournes. I've just about as much Ozzyness as I can take these days...
 |  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 30, 2002 00:40     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

So I went to see the Hand of Doom show tonight. The drummer was awesome (I'm pretty sure it was John Stanier [Helmet]), it was just like Bill Ward's playing. It made the show for me, really powerful. It was also cool because I felt like those were songs he must have played ten million times in his basement and this was his chance to show his shit.

Melissa Auf Der Maur can't really sing. She's not terrible but she half talks her way through a lot of it, she's very monotonic. I guess once you're a 'star' everyone tells you that you rock even if your range is only about one octave and you sing through your nose instead of opening up your throat and {{howling}}. One thing about Ozzy is he has a very stong and unique voice, he's not easy to cover. I would have rather seen the guy who took over the mic to literally scream his way through only one song, do the entire set with Auf der Maur on bass. But it's her party and she can wear white fringes on her arms if she wants to.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 30, 2002 12:23     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have never heard this band, but...
She has a great Ass!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 30, 2002 12:33     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep. Now if her ass could sing more than one octave I'd be really impressed.
JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted June 30, 2002 12:53     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ass of doom???
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 30, 2002 15:20     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've always wondered something in regard to bands playing covers. Maybe ya'll can help me out. Since they were making money off that show wouldn't they have to send Ozzy a check for the use of his songs? I guess what I'm asking is how far a band can go before paying the songwriter.

Yes, I think Ass of Doom would be an appropriate namechange for that band.

space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted June 30, 2002 21:16     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmmm...maybe that depends on if these guys are friends with Ozzy or not. then again perhaps that means didly too...

i should check out some of this stuff. i remember Helmet's 'Strap It On' and 'Meantime' kicking my ass many a listens through my high school days. even 'Betty' has been known to get my head shaking from time to time.

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted July 01, 2002 01:39     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
She could squeel worse than a pig for all I care but as long as she has a cute butt! This is definately a redeeming quality. What can I say, I'm a red blooded male!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 01, 2002 08:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think a tribute band would have to pay any money to the original band when they are performing their music live; however, if they desided to record it and sell cds, videos etc, they would have to pay royalties and also get permission from whoever owns the rights to each song.

Certainly all these 'cover' bands that make a living playing other groups music, aren't sending $$$$$$ to all the different groups they cover songs from.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 01, 2002 11:38     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Apparently they did record a CD that's slated for release in the fall on the Idaho Music label. Legally they would have to pay royalties, both for performances and for the material they recorded. Will Sharon Osbourne collect? Probably! Anyway, I won't buy it, I don't think it would be interesting to listen to at all since Auf der Maur's take on Ozzy seems to consist of a few arm moves and little else. IMHO, a tribute needs to bring something new to the table otherwise why bother?
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 01, 2002 12:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NOITALL wrote: a tribute needs to bring something new to the table otherwise why bother?

I totally agree. What's the point of rerecording something if you're not going to add something to make it unique.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 01, 2002 14:45     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oops, I was wrong, the drummer was Money Mark's drummer, Pedro Yanowitz. Here's an interesting article in Toronto's NOW magazine - HOLY SABBATH
MELISSA AUF DER MAUR DOES OZZY

quote:
"Because Sharon Osbourne was managing the Pumpkins when I joined the group, I found myself at the Osbourne's residence, with Ozzy pouring me tea while I negotiated my salary. He's a sweetheart and they're fun people, but I don't know about the show -- it's kinda warped."

Too band she didn't pick up some singing tips...

Serpent
VoivodFan
Member # 43

posted July 03, 2002 15:12     Profile for Serpent   Email Serpent     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hee,

funny to hear about a female singer with the same name as my daughter and guess what; she can't sing too.
Well my daughter's got an excuse, she is only 9 months young.

I'm a big early Black Sabbath fan myself and own a few tribute cd's but that band isn't on it.

Serpent.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan