my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The most Xtreme... (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: The most Xtreme...
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted June 26, 2002 09:57     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was wondering what is the most Xtreme/insane thing you think you have ever heard...
It went kind of gradually for me and there have been a couple records I thought were *absolute*. Nothing could be more Xtreme at the time.

Metallica - Kill'em All (1983)
Venom - Possessed (1985)
Slayer - Hell Awaits (1985)
Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion (1986)
Hirax - Raging Violence (1986)
Voïvod - RRRÖÖÖAAARRR (1986)
Slayer - Reign in Blood (1986)
Voïvod - Dimension Hatröss (1988)
Nocturnus - The Key (1990)
Napalm Death - in concert (1992)
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse (1994)

Emperor is the last thing I remember being a real *punch in the face*. I guess I'm missing something there as well. No?

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: The Outcast ]

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 26, 2002 10:07     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Venom - At war with Satan
Mercyfull Fate - Melissa
Mekong Delta - (everything)
Fantomas - (everything)
VOIVOD - KRONIK
TypeO Negative - Harder, etc

Conway Twitty - Greatest Hits

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 26, 2002 10:21     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Naked City, Boredoms, Fantomas...

There's a thin line between extremity and pure nonsense, I think.

Mind you, I'm listening to Rammstein for the first time today - almost falling off my chair laughing! Its like Metallica crossed with Depech Mode with Hitler on vocals. Nit extreme, though.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 26, 2002 10:36     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember turning round to a friend of mine to shout "fuck me!" when Deicide burst into "Dead By Dawn" live in London in 1990. That was heavy as fuck. I think when a band has an extreme live sound, it's much more impressive, as it's not very difficult to achieve in the studio these days. Mind you, the next time I saw them they were shite! I also loved the way the Nihilist / Entombed early stuff sounded. It was extreme but in a refreshing way.
Confessor had the most extreme rythms, and early carcass had a nice twist!
I think Napalm Death kinda went as far as is necessary though. "Scum" was about as extreme as I need!!
In the opposite direction, Sunn are off thier heads. And Winter always ruled the world of slooooow riffs.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted June 26, 2002 10:44     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
After that I found: Slayer - Hell Awaits (1985). This was a real punch-in-the-face to me, I was amazed and draw-in by the speedmetal drumming.

Yeah the drumming was insane and Tom Araya's voice was really wicked. What impressed me is the drum rolling thunder at the end of "At Dawn They sleep"...

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 26, 2002 11:14     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Venom - At War With Satan
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Voivod - War And Pain
Slayer - Hell Awaits
D.R.I. - Dirty Rotten E.P.
Carnivore - both albums
Ministry - Land Of Rape And Honey

all totally floored me when I first heard 'em. Then several years later it was

Praxis - Sacrifist
Carcass - Heartwork
Sepultura - Arise
Kittens - (local band, kinda like a really extreme Melvins)

then since about 2 years ago

Emperor - IX Equilibrium
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Faxedhead - Exhumed At Birth
Fantomas - 1st album
Nile - Black Seeds Of Vengeance

if you haven't heard Faxedhead go to their official site http://www.faxedhead.com/
go read the bio FIRST, then go download some songs. This shit is fucked up.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 26, 2002 12:39     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, I already see a lot of the same bands that made the same impact on me!

Like Warcorpse, the first couple of albums that punched me in the face were Metallica's "Ride The Lightning" and Sleyer's "Hell Awaits". Before that, Iron Maiden was as heavy as it gor for me (keep in mind that this was in 1984-85).

Then came:
Possessed: Seven Churches + Live show (I saw these guys open for Slayer in '85 and remember thinking they were pretty nuts. Then I got Seven Churches and FUCK, that was some seriously deathly vocals!
Celtic Frost: Morbid Tales (whoa! SLOW and heavy! TGW's guitar tones were soooo cool too!)
Voivod: RRROOOAAARRR (I thought this album was, and still is, pretty extreme! So raw and dirty... nothing else quite like it! This record actually sounds like the cover looks!)
Kreator: Pleasure To Kill (My indroduction to extremely fast, faster than Slayer, metal! I've actually been listening to a LOT of Kreator once again lately!)
Melvins: Gluey Porch Treatments (the heaviest album of 1986! These guys played locally all the time in my youth! Not suprising I guess, since they were local.)

Not much has really shocked me since those days... but a few bands/albums stand out.

O.L.D. - James Plotkin & co. tear shit up with some pretty extreme noise metal here! "Lo Flux Tube" and "The Musical Dimensions of Sleastak" will peel the paint off your walls! JP's new bands Atomsmasher and Khanate are also rather brutal!
Naked City (nice one Emlyn!) John Zorn's usually pushing something pretty weird! Also good is his project with former Napalm Death drummer Mick Harris and Bill Laswell called Painkiller! Very extreme!
Nile - Most extreme metal doesn't excite me like it used to, but I found Nile to be rather interesting on a number of levels! Great band and I hope to see 'em here next month!

The most extreme cd I own: Yasuano Tone's "Solo For Wounded CD" The most sonically abusive recording I've ever heard! Two long tracks of noise so extreme it will make your eardrums spasm (I am not kidding)! Yet, like Emlyn said, there's a fine line between extremity and pure nonsense, this one is probably on the nonsense side of things, but I keep it in the collection so I can torment my metalhead friends who think they're real hardcore! BTW, I've owned this discs since 1996 and have never made it completely through one of the tracks!

Cool topic Outcast!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 26, 2002 14:30     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When you say extreme are you referring to metal exclusively? In the insane vein, off the top of my head I'd have to say To Live & Shave in L.A., Boredoms, some of the more psychedlic Butthole Surfers.
Mayor.of Black City
VoivodFan
Member # 52

posted June 26, 2002 15:56     Profile for Mayor.of Black City   Email Mayor.of Black City     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i think you guys are a few years older than me, because my first introduction to extreme metal came in, i think, 8th grade in the form of reign in blood
i couldn't believe the non-stop evil and how fast everything was
it was absolutely shocking i tell you!

the only other time i thought a tape was too extreme for my tastes (for a week or two) was when i bought martha splatterhead's maddest stories ever told (the accused)

blaine's vocals shred all!!!

(blaine and alex are in the reformed Fartz, i hear)

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 26, 2002 17:27     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mayor, the people on this forum are way older than you and me.

Reign in Blood(Angel of Death was like legendary at my high school)
Kill'em All
Leprosy by Death

Recently I'd have to say anything by Fantomas

Oh, and Outcast, you asked a while back what Hypercube was doing? He's getting married this summer and is also busy with law school so he has little time for forum talk.

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: Mezcalhead ]

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 26, 2002 17:37     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's no way to make this a "complete" list... but here's a few things that i remember gave me actual goosebumps upon first listen, for its intensity...Extreme doesnt mean anything anymore, anyway, so i'll go with intensity... off the top of my head...

1) The Accused - Martha SPlatterhead's Maddest Stories Ever Told
(Y'know.. even the most "br00tal" of death metal vocalist cant even come close to Blaine's murderous raging vokills. I was never the same again)
2) Sepultura - Beneath the Remains. (speed.)
3) Deicide - Deicide. (oh yah.)
4) Carcass - First two albums.
(Jesus! Symphonies of Sickness...?/%?$/%$/?%$/?%$%"%/"!%?/*%?|#1111#1#1#1 AAaaaaaaarghhhh!!!!!!!!)
5) Righteous Pigs - "Overdose" (cant remember the name of the album, perhaps 'Stress Related', but that tune made me wanna break everything in sight)
6) Exorcist - Nightmare Theatre
(Evil beyond fuckin' belief.. still is, too)
7) look, i could go on and on... there's also Pleasure to Kill, Infernal Overkill, the first B.A.R.F. demo, the first time i heard Pestilence "Consuming Impulse", etc...

Now if you wanna talk about "what i still think is intense today", which means i still bring those records out when i feel like beating people up but i really dont want too cuz that's too much hassle, well here they are...

1) Voivod - RRRoooaaarrr
2) Voivod - RRRoooaaarrr
3) Voivod - RRRoooaaarrr

...you get the picture.

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: Skulhed ]

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: Skulhed ]

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 26, 2002 17:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are some bands (lots that have been listed) that I thought were extreme but didn't really get into.
Irin Maiden & Judas Priest are probably the 2 main bands that got me into metal, a long long time ago.
My extremes:
Recorded music:
SLAYER - HELL AWAITS (where they really found their sound)
VOIVOD - KLLING TECH & DIMENSION HATROSS (same reason as Slayer)
FAITH NO MORE - THE REAL THING (so different than anything that was happening at that time...that I knew of)
MEGADETH - KILLING IS MY BUISNESS 9this had a bigger impact on me than Kill 'em All)
BLACK SABBATH - everything (except Never Say Die & Tech Ecstacy) up to BORN AGAIN
PRIMUS - SUCK ON THIS (opened my ears to the bizarre)
DEEP PURPLE - The 70's recordings with Gillan singing (hard rock didn't get any better at that time...Purple had it all)
KING CRIMSON - everything (constantly changing and evolving into uncharted musical terrain... often immitated/never duplicated)
S.O.D. - SPEAK ENGLISH OR DIE 9do I really need to say anything about this one?)

LIVE SHOWS
Slayer w/Overkill - Reign in Blood tour (fuckin' insane)
King Crimson - 2000 & 2001 tour (musicians at their best)

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: schroeder ]

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted June 27, 2002 08:24     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
When you say extreme are you referring to metal exclusively?

Nope. Even though my list was rather metal-oriented cos' it's 75% of my music collection but it could be whatever you thought really on the "thin line between extremity and pure nonsense", be it metal or not.

quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Oh, and Outcast, you asked a while back what Hypercube was doing? He's getting married this summer and is also busy with law school so he has little time for forum talk.

Thanks for the update.

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted June 27, 2002 16:34     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would agree with a couple already
mentioned for sure: 1) LEPROSY by
Death & PLEASURE TO KILL by
Kreator. Another I would include is
HARMONY, CORRUPTION by Napalm
Death. I've just started listening to
this again after questioning the validity
of their ranking over at Yuri's in that
Terrorizor poll thread. The concensus
seems to be that ND deserved their
#5 ranking. I wasn't sure because I
haven't heard a lot of their stuff. Well,
HARMONY, CORRUPTION has aged
well and I probably will make an attempt
to pickup more of their catalog. Any
reccomendations on where to start?

The most intense audience i ever saw
was at the Suicidal Tendencies show
when they were touring for JOIN THE
ARMY. The show was at the old Metro-
plex (RIP) in Atlanta in '87. I could not
believe the pit action. Never seen any
thing like it before or since.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted August 26, 2002 20:32     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Mind you, I'm listening to Rammstein for the first time today - almost falling off my chair laughing! Its like Metallica crossed with Depech Mode with Hitler on vocals. Nit extreme, though.

I finally heard this band for the first time on the weekend. I kind of like the German intros, even though I have no idea what the singer is saying! Like the 'Spieluhr' track off 'Mutter'. Apparently, KMFDM re-mixed some of their stuff. They seem a little image concious, in an Einsturzende Neubauten kind of way, but I dig anyone who will light themselves on fire for my entertainment, lol.

RealVideo, Sydney - Australia, Jan. 26, 2001 - http://lenin.lysator.liu.se/herzeleid/video/bdo_sydney/rammstein.mpg

audio clips - http://www.rammsteinsite.com/audio.html

Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted August 26, 2002 21:06     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My daily doses of adrenalin :

Painkiller John Zorn, Mick Harris, Bill Laswell (OUCH!!!)
Scum Napalm Death
Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing Discharge
NYC Speedcore DOA

...and on another note, Free Jazz A Collective Improvisation by the Ornette Coleman Double Quartet. Kicks ass.
Really kicks major asses.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted August 27, 2002 05:03     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Much extremes in speed and noise, but I also like to mention some other extremes.

Extremes in HEAVINESS:
-Saint Vitus: Born Too Late
Never before Doom Metal sounded so ugly, stripped-down, cold and lacking in any form of vitality.
-Amebix: No Sanctuary & Arise
Doomy Punk straight from the gutter. Not for the faint-hearted.
-Swans: Cop/Young God
Proto-Industrial Noise. Monotonous thundering at unbearable slow pace.
-Godflesh: Streetcleaner
Inspired by The Swans they got one step further. If this was music for the future, Apocalypse would be VERY near.
-Winter: Into Darkness
The perfect soundtrack for a dying world. If they played slower, they would stand still.
-Cathedral: Forest of Equilibrium
Once described as the most suicidal album ever. I'm not sure, but it comes close I think.
-Esoteric: all albums
Guaranteed to clear the room at all your parties. Very long songs with nothing really happening, only despair.

Now, where's my prozac?

Oh, yeah, just one:
-Metallica: Reload
EXTREMELY BORING!!!

Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted August 27, 2002 08:04     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
-Cathedral: Forest of Equilibrium
Once described as the most suicidal album ever. I'm not sure, but it comes close I think.

Reaching Happiness Touching Pain is an unequalled ode to despair.
Brilliant!!! ... ...

quote:
Oh, yeah, just one:
-Metallica: Reload
EXTREMELY BORING!!!

Héhé....

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 27, 2002 10:54     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Motörhead - Iron Fist - my introduction to heavy music, what an album!

Slayer - Hell Awaits & Reign In Blood - They were released here at almost the same time, by different record companies. They both blew me away for their intensity! Never could tell which one of them was the best...

Voïvod - Killing Technology - Voïvod never appealed to me for their brutality, but this one is a gem. Somehow it started my interest for European HC bands.

Ministry - (Psalm 69) - The Mind... is a revelation, of course, but this one (with the undeciphrable name) still blasts my stereo from time to time, as it is timeless.

Morbid Angel - Covenant - Pete Sandoval really shines on this. The first to appeal to me, still one of my fav death metal albums.

Deicide - Once Upon The Cross - Deicide at their best. Serpents still shined, nowadays they're rolling down the hill.

Terrorizer - World Downfall - This one always make me breathless. Grind!

Napalm Death - Diatribes - I knew and had previous Napalm releases, such as Utopia, Enslavement or Harmony, but THIS is the Napalm Death album that appealed to me the most, even being so "modern" sounding.

Laibach - Opus Dei - People that claim they're nazi, as I've already seen around (not here, fortunately) are being unjust. Their extremity is in the mood of the songs. "Life is life" is one of my favourite songs of all time, with those chilling vocals!

Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia - Just for Nick's drumming. Not that the rest of the pack isn't excellent, but his performance blew me away.

Disrupt - Deprived - Crust rules!!! And so does the insane Disrupt.

Nile - Black Seeds Of Vengeance - Can anything or anyone be more brutal?

Hate Eternal - Conquering the Throne - Maybe yes...

Lock Up - Hate Breeds Suffering - The latest in a row. Phew!

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted August 27, 2002 13:20     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was introduced to metal by my bigger brothers, mainly because of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest... For me it was the natural evolution to a more Hard style of music...
IRON MAIDEN "Piece of Mind" --> It was the beginning for me!!!
VENOM "Welcome to Hell" & "Black Metal"
METALLICA "Kill 'em All" & "Ride The Lightning"
SLAYER "Show no Mercy" & "Hell Awaits" & "Reign in Blood"
VOIVOD "Rrroooaaarrr" & "Killing Technology"
MERCYFUL FATE "Don't Break the Oath"
POSSESSED "Seven Churches"
Those were my main Xtreme beginnings...
CARCASS & MORBID ANGEL made a deep impact on me, but that was a few years later...

Queenraper
VoivodFan
Member # 94

posted August 27, 2002 15:33     Profile for Queenraper   Email Queenraper     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Merzbow- the most extreme AND insane....
and then, distantly,
Discordance Axis
Swans
Boredoms
Melt Banana
Anal Cunt
B.A.R.F. too, no one beats that dude's voice!
VoiVod too, all of albums, even phobos, Rob Sanzo is a kicks ass!(see also kittens, shallow).
And....The first couple of Ulver albums. Fuck.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted August 27, 2002 19:47     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well at the time i have to say

Joe Satriani-surfing with the alien
Iron Maiden-killers
Black Sabbath-Masters of reality
VoiVod-Dimensions (actually all)
Pink Floyd-echos(first bad trip watching live at pompeii.
Jimi Hendrix-(all)
Moody Blues-in search of the lost chord
Metallica-early stuff

I know its not all heavy X-treme stuff but.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 27, 2002 20:32     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
COOL LIST HATROS!!!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 27, 2002 22:29     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sun Ra- Cosmic Tones/Art Forms

That is an acquired taste I'll never acquire.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 28, 2002 01:30     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Definitely SLAYER. I was 11 when my "mommy" bought me "Show No Mercy". It brought me in...And Metallica "Kill" and "Lightning". I was the only guy on the block who would blast the shit.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan