my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The humility of Don

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The humility of Don
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 24, 2002 15:25     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From Metal Sludge by Ozzy Stillborn- This is good stuff. Enjoy.

Just sitting here transcribing my Don Dokken interview (for BW&BK) when I came along this quote that A) most likely won't be included for print and B) that I just had to share right away....

<<I went thru my arrogant rock stars days. We all had those issues, but some of us didn't grow out of it. I hate it when I run into rock stars now and there still the same as they were in the '80s. Bobby Blotzer came on tour and walked onto our bus with muddy feet and trampled mud throughout the bus and grabbed all our beers, and was saying 'fuck, fuck, fuck' every other word with my two kids sitting there and I said 'Jesus Christ Bobby! Grow up!' and he was like 'gotta go'. And off he went with his entourage and I was like 'WOW! Was I like that in the '80s?' How embarrassing. I could never be like that now. I've fallen in love with the human race again and with people. I think journalist, rock star, pizza deliverer... no fucking difference and I learned that the hard way. The biggest revelations come from megastars that I've met that are so humble. I met Robert Plant he's the fucking nicest, coolest guy in the world. You meet Steven Tyler and he's the sweetest most wonderful guy I've ever met. Then you meet guys and I'm thinking to myself 'you're not a good singer, I don't think you've got any talent, I don't think you've got anything going for you, you shittin' got lucky, why are you so cocky?' like Stephen Pearcy, but I don't blame Stephen. Stephen can't help it. He's just fucking stupid. That guy's got brain damage. It's just the alcohol. When I'm talking to Stephen, I feel like I'm talking to Beavis and Butthead. He's like 'dude' and 'bro' and I'm like 'do you have any other vocabulary?' That's it! That's his whole fucking vocabulary. Fuckin' A... Great! When I'm around him, I'm like 'be nice to your fans. Remember, they're paying your rent.'>>

If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black! Let me go over what Don said one more time:

<<I went thru my arrogant rock stars days. [Such as now]. We all had those issues, but some of us didn't grow out of it. [Such as yourself]. I hate it when I run into rock stars now and there still the same as they were in the '80s. [Such as yourself]. Bobby Blotzer came on tour and walked onto our bus with muddy feet and trampled mud throughout the bus and grabbed all our beers, and was saying 'fuck, fuck, fuck' every other word with my two kids sitting there and I said 'Jesus Christ Bobby! Grow up!' and he was like 'gotta go'. [He probably just wanted your beer]. And off he went with his entourage and I was like 'WOW! Was I like that in the '80s?' How embarrassing. I could never be like that now. [You're right, you can't be like that now. Instead of just stealing beer and swearing, you just talk about your favorite subject, yourself, and talk shit about everybody else.] I've fallen in love with the human race again and with people. [Who the fuck are you kidding? Don, falling in love with the human race doesn't mean talking shit about bands in every interview you give. A few months back you did an interview on KNAC and you were basically talking shit about touring with Poison. You always have some negative shit to say about somebody, and now you're talking shit about Ratt, a band you're going to be touring with this Summer! Fuck Don, why don't you just write for us?
The bottom line is if you're really so noble and such a good guy, then you don't need to fucking talk about it. It should speak for itself.] I think journalist, rock star, pizza deliverer... no fucking difference and I learned that the hard way. [It's a good thing you think that way because you'll be delivering pizzas after you see the Soundscans for your new album.] The biggest revelations come from megastars that I've met that are so humble. I met Robert Plant he's the fucking nicest, coolest guy in the world. You meet Steven Tyler and he's the sweetest most wonderful guy I've ever met. [You can say all the nice stuff you want about Tyler, but Aerosmith is not going to take Dokken out on tour. Sorry.] Then you meet guys and I'm thinking to myself 'you're not a good singer, I don't think you've got any talent, I don't think you've got anything going for you, you shittin' got lucky, why are you so cocky?' like Stephen Pearcy, but I don't blame Stephen. Stephen can't help it. He's just fucking stupid. [This comes from a guy who has fallen in love with the human race. Don Dokken, making the world safe for hypocrisy.] That guy's got brain damage. It's just the alcohol. When I'm talking to Stephen, I feel like I'm talking to Beavis and Butthead. He's like 'dude' and 'bro' and I'm like 'do you have any other vocabulary?' [Yes, Pearcy is fucking stupid, but you're a fucking asshole who's voice is just as shot at Pearcy's. And at least Pearcy has his own fucking hair on his head!] That's it! That's his whole fucking vocabulary. Fuckin' A... Great! When I'm around him, I'm like 'be nice to your fans. Remember, they're paying your rent.'>> [Wow Don, you're such a better person than everybody else. Maybe you can write a book about how to win friends and influence people.]

Some people never learn. This just made the Dokken/Ratt tour a lot more interesting!

In related news, I heard the new Dokken CD and I'd have to say it's alternative. As in the alternative to good.

|  IP: Logged
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted June 25, 2002 11:14     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I never really liked Dokken all that much back in the eighties though I liked them slightly better than Bon Jovi who I used to loathe. It used to really bother me that people referred to Bon Jovi's "music" as heavy metal. I liked RATT slightly better than the previous two bands but was more fond of WASP and Motley Crue. So what exactly happened between WASP and Motorhead recently during that ill fated tour? I heard that the members of WASP didn't like the idea of Motorhead headlining! Who are they trying to kid?

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: El Indio ]

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 25, 2002 11:28     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I met Blackie Lawless & Chris Holmes of WASP one day when my Dad picked them up in his Cab. Cool guys. Drunk, but cool.

Motorhead open for THEM???
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan