my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Ride the Lightning II

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ride the Lightning II
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted June 20, 2002 07:14     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, looks like Metallicorp are writing again - they said "it's less bluesy, more balls".

So, does anyone wish to speculate the chances of their new album where every song is a variation of 'Fight Fire With Fire'?

I'd fucking buy it, but the odds are not looking good.

|  IP: Logged
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted June 20, 2002 08:41     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd buy it too but I frankly doubt it will ever happen... *Fight Fire With Fire-like* songs would scare off a huge majority of their present fans I guess so even if it would definitely please me a lot... bah forg'daboudit! They couldn't write such fast ripping (fantastic) tunes nowadays, that's MHO.

PS
Btw, anyone here in Europe has the original green misprinted LP? It is a top rare fukkin collector of an item now. Damn myself for buying the cassette (OK it's green too but not as valuable - for sure).

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted June 20, 2002 08:59     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
fuck metallica, wether they put out this or that
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 20, 2002 09:14     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Like i read somewhere: "You could tell me that their new CD would include the cure for Cancer, $5,000 cash, and Britney Spears' cell phone number and I still wouldn't care."
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted June 20, 2002 09:17     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, I think we'll all second this... Fukk'em!

That said, one can't deny they put out such albums as Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 20, 2002 11:18     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was at school when I heared the news. I can picture it vividly. I'd been to see them on the puppets tour the week before, and was listening to "...lightning" that morning. A friend of mine bought a copy of Sounds magazine into class that had a little feature in it. I was gutted.
Worst thing is - oh man... I dunno if I can type this! It hurts and shames me to say - but when I saw them play the week before I was dying for a piss (couldn't handle my beer back in those early days!) and ended up holding it until Cliffs bass solo. I decided that I'd go and relieve myself then, thinking I'll catch his solo next time round.... absolutely gutted.
Regrets... I have a few. And that's number 1. I'm off to shed a tear now.... sniff.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 20, 2002 18:06     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw Metallica open for Ozzy on the Puppets tour, and I guess it was a few monthe before Cliff died. I'm glad I got to see them back in the day. That was the only time I saw Metallica, but I gotta admit I'll probably buy the new cd since I have everything else by them and I'll be curious as hell to hear what it sounds like.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 20, 2002 18:12     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was in my parents living room, waiting for my buddy to pick me up for band practice. We had just learned a bunch of tunes off of Puppets and were working hard to get 'em down. He calls me and asks if I read today's paper. I said no, and he said to look in the entertainment section. there was a small blurb about it. We cancelled practice that night. We were all pretty bummed out for a while. The next week some dumb bitch at school goes "who the fuck is Clif Burton?". I let her have it.
El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted June 20, 2002 21:04     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would have loved to checkout Cliff before he got killed. What a way to go, eh? I saw the rest of Metallica with Jason Newsted a few months after the crash when they played the coliseum in Vancouver (around the end of the Master of Puppets tour) with Metal Church opening. I was big into Metal Church around that time - I loved their first album! - and also listened to the Master of Puppets album with my metaloid freinds quite a bit! The highlight of Metallica's set for me was when someone from the audience threw an empty beer bottle - I swear it wasn't me! - at James Hetfield and bounced it off his head! Naturally James wasn't very impressed and promptly went into a tirade about how if he was in the audience and saw whoever did it, he would beat the person up! Hilarious! Defiantly a Kodak moment! This concert reminds me of a crazy fad which was happening in Vancouver around that time whereas people would smuggle el cheapo cassette tape recorders to these shows and then make bootleg recordings. I knew this one nut who went to the Metallica show with a beater recorder - made out of genuine plastic! - and proceeded to tape it - in mono! I remember drinking some beer and smoking some dubes to this insane tape which was comprised mostly of a constant scream from the audience ("YAHHH!!! METALLICA!!! YAHHH!!!"), totally unintelligable singing, and heavy guitar riffs with absolutely no "definition"! Dem were the daze!

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: El Indio ]

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 20, 2002 22:41     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Indio:
The highlight of Metallica's set for me was when someone from the audience threw an empty beer bottle - I swear it wasn't me! - at James Hetfield and bounced it off his head! Naturally James wasn't very impressed and promptly went into a tirade about how if he was in the audience and saw whoever did it, he would beat the person up! Hilarious! Defiantly a Kodak moment!

Oh yeah, that's the way Vancouver welcomes out of towners all right, by lobbing beer bottles at the band. This is why Henry Rollins swore he would never return during his Black Flag days. It took him ten years to come back.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted June 21, 2002 03:43     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
Where were you when you heard the news of Cliff's death?

When I got to school the next morning, I noticed a terrible sadness on my friend's face... She told me Cliff had passed away.
I told her not to fool around with that - but she was serious! I couldn't believe her.
My walkman was still playing... "Escape", that was... We were really shocked. All the more since we should have seen them the week after in Strasbourg.
Well... The show was postponed to march of '87. First and only time I'd see them, and that was long long ago...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 21, 2002 05:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
METAL CHURCH are still great - the last cd stays true to their roots, and kicks ass!!!

David Wayne's last cd (titled 'Metal Church') was classic also. Anyone into MC would dig it.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted June 21, 2002 06:23     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw Metal Church play on "The Dark" tour. That was a killer album. Not really impressed by any of their later stuff though.
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted June 21, 2002 06:44     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speaking of Tallica, have a look at these few
ANIMATIONS...

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted June 21, 2002 22:38     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow! I wish someone else posted here right after you The Outcast for I don't know how to reply properly about your link without sounding even more like a dipshit! But as far as Metal Church goes (and all other bands), my mind works peculiarly in regards to music whereas it always sort of tags on to certain songs or phrases or riffs or whatever and these become - at least for me - hit songs. This is why I automatically liked "Ton of bricks" off of Metal Church's second album! Sometimes songs really stand out for me and then I may or may not get into the rest of the album! "Zero the Hero" is what first got me into Black Sabbath's "Born Again" album. It just automatically stood out for me! And then I got into the rest of the album. What am I trying to say? How the hell do I know!?! I've been drinking again! And still am!

"I love popular culture music or music popular with my culture; namely, myself!"

[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: El Indio ]

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan