my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » And you thought Glam was Dead..... (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: And you thought Glam was Dead.....
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 19, 2002 18:31     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
POINTS WELL TAKEN KING KULA.

I understand what you are talking about, it's more than just the music that makes MM what he is...he could not sell what he does on the music alone, it's the image and theatrics that his fans are buying along with the music. I wonder how many cds these bands would have sold with out the image? Would they have even been signed in the first place? It is a way of getting noticed...just not what I'm into, even though I have heard some cool songs from the shock-art-rockers.

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 19, 2002 19:56     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Schroeder...

Yes. Pretty-much it is an Image that sells with the Glam, Art, whatever crowd
and usually, the music is sub-par.
Marilyn Manson sells because of both the Music and the Image. They are Interdependent upon each other.
The whole MM thing was never designed to be only Music & regular guys wearing T-shirts playin it. You are correct in that the Music probably wouldnt stand on its own very well...and thats ok because it was never meant to.

Look at David Bowie. Could you really have the Music without the Star...Bowie?
I dont believe he would be where he is today without his Image.
This is true of KISS and many, many others in music.

Anyways. Its alright if you dont care for MM or that stuff too much. We all have our likes & dislikes.
Mine is only an opinion about it all anyways.

By the way...Thanks to YOU, Schroeder, i have been getting-into PORCUPINE TREE a lot.
At first, i wasnt into it....but then i heard how great this stuff really is!
I am blown-away, man! Thanks!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 19, 2002 20:01     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here is my one-and-a-half cent on the issue.

From my beginning in music (circa '82 or '83), I never cared too much 'bout imagery. Well, I did. I was impressed with the Priest and the Motörhead (Lemmy!) imagery, especially. That made me have interest in their music, which I found to be none less than fantastic! So, for this angle, image is a valid thing in music.

But eventually I grew out of that. I do still care a lot 'bout Priest or Motörhead (I still buy every new album they release!), but I went for the music. That was exactly when thrash metal arrived here in Brazil, with Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Kreator, Destruction, Nuclear Assault...

But then, even not to have an image is kind of imagery...

Nowadays I can say I like a band for their music, aside from their looks, sexual preferences or whatever. And that is the best way to enjoy music, IMHO. Image can be part of the business, but if the music is no good, the band won't last long...

But then (again), KISS is a bright exception to that...

And life goes on. Thanks.

hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted June 19, 2002 21:13     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
LOL hypergrrl! I enjoy the Donnas live show much more than their recorded stuff but pouty girls in spandex playing 3 chord punk rock doesn't rub me (or Indio, lol) the wrong way. Ah well, ya can't please everyone.

Ha ha, I agree that El Indio wouldn't mind the Donnas rubbing him in any way: up down and all around

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 19, 2002 22:05     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, I need to check out the Donnas.

BTW, Hypperhottie, I rented Monster's Ball yesterday. WOW!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 19, 2002 23:49     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Marilyn Manson, Kiss, Gwar...whatever. Some good songs, some real fuckin' boners too imho. It's all just entertainment anyway. Kinda like Wrestling or Side Shows or Disneyland as far as I'm concerned. I'm not knockin' any of them, I just won't go so far as to call any of it 'art'. Not pure art anyway. It's fun, that's all.
Now Bowie on the other hand...that fellow is an artist. I've always been a big fan of his (even during his Let's Dance era) and I just watched the Live on A&E special. Awesome!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 20, 2002 05:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
KKS, it's great you're into Porcupine Tree! It took me about a year before it really 'clicked' for me and their music, and now I'm like a fuckin' PT junkie ( http://home.mchsi.com/~schro/ ). Going to the TLA in Philly on July 26 to see them.

Bottom line is, that in the music 'buisness' image sells records. No matter what that image is: leather, flannel, costumes, make-up, big hair, pop-slut, hardcore drugged out dope head... It's something the PR people can use to cram in the publics eyes! Puffy pirates shirts is a proven way how NOT to sell metal...even though for the real music fans it didn't matter, it was still about the tunes.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 20, 2002 08:45     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HAHAHA!!!

Yes...Poofy Pirate Shirts are how NOT to sell metal.
Will somebody tell Fates Warning that.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 20, 2002 12:00     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Isnt it odd...

The FATES WARNING Video that i saw where they are wearing Poofy Pirate Shirts...came from an Album Terry Brown Produced!

I cant remember the name of that Album though.

Good to see those pictures where they are dressed normaly.

Does this mean i gotta go home & change out of my Orange Pirate Shirt i am wearing right now?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 20, 2002 17:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Remember the Sinfield episode where he wore a puffy shirt on the Tonight Show...he too looked like an idiot.

Terry Brown must own stock in them.

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted June 20, 2002 20:17     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey SlaytanicWehrmacht, have you ever heard of a Brazilian Yngwie Malmsteen impersonator who, a couple years ago, sent out to various labels, distributors, musicians, etc., a C.D. called "Andy's Force - Power Tracks"? I gather that this Andy fellow lives in a town called Florianopolis in Brazil. I wish I could play Malmsteen inspired guitar riffs like Andy! Seems the more I practice, the worse I become!

Hi hypergrrl, I'm all for being rubbed up and down and all around by The Donnas! Especially the one Donna with the dangerous leer!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 21, 2002 06:15     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How old are those chicks??? I'm thinking around 14.
hypergrrl
VoivodFan
Member # 16

posted June 21, 2002 10:09     Profile for hypergrrl   Email hypergrrl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
How old are those chicks??? I'm thinking around 14.

...in your dreams Mezcalhead. It also took me some time to figure out why you mentioned The Monsters Ball to me but then I saw that Mrs. LetMeBareMyTitsForYou was in it - it doesn't seem like she disappointed you!

By the way, I am headed to good old San Francisco this afternoon...any messages for Rob in case I run into him? I'll make sure that I don't miss the photo opportunity with him like I did with the Bionic Woman

Spawn_of_SATAN_666
VoivodFan
Member # 62

posted June 21, 2002 11:37     Profile for Spawn_of_SATAN_666   Email Spawn_of_SATAN_666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
anyone

for the first time I agree with king_kula.
I do enjoy listening to MManson, he is very articulate and can act perveted but you have to see past the m.t.v. look and see what he represents, he represents all the lost teens where thier parents were never around or they were picked on and bullied or just plain left out.
As you listen to his song "Disposible Teens" (a remake of beautiful people) That tells about society. Not just today's society but since almost the beginning of time there had been a black sheep and all the christains dawned on him.
Anyways about art. Art comes from a way of expression whether it is a feeling of happiness or suffering. Or maybe just something you like, and MManson likes to be different and be free .

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 21, 2002 12:55     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
((( )))

A Spawn agrees with me!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 21, 2002 15:15     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hyperbabe, ask Rob what the hell is going on with the two bands, Swarm and Death Angel. Why in the hell are they trying to do both? I don't get it.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted June 27, 2002 17:41     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Indio:
Hey SlaytanicWehrmacht, have you ever heard of a Brazilian Yngwie Malmsteen impersonator who, a couple years ago, sent out to various labels, distributors, musicians, etc., a C.D. called "Andy's Force - Power Tracks"? I gather that this Andy fellow lives in a town called Florianopolis in Brazil. I wish I could play Malmsteen inspired guitar riffs like Andy! Seems the more I practice, the worse I become!

Err... Looks like you're more into the Brazilian underground scene than I... Shame! No, I never heard of him, maybe because I'm not that much into Yngwie's style of metal. But I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip, Indio!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 01, 2002 12:14     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another dose of heavy-metal Poison

By ALAN NIESTER
Special to The Globe and Mail

Monday, July 1, 2002

The Hollyweird Tour

Featuring Poison, Cinderella, Winger and Faster Pussycat

at The Molson Ampitheatre

in Toronto on Friday

Some stories get better in the retelling. Those tequila-fuelled nights in college may have been stupid, dangerous and messy at the time, but in retrospect they rank right up there with Mel Brooks's finest moments.

Los Angeles-based rock quartet Poison is fast becoming the musical equivalent of this truism. Dismissed as the worst offenders of the so-called Hair Metal movement of the mid-eighties, Poison has somehow managed not only to survive, but to prosper. Friday night, the glam-rockers topped off the four-band Hollyweird Tour with a handful of old hits and a display of brazen showmanship that made it seem, however briefly, as if this was a band that at one time really mattered. God, time plays strange tricks.

Poison is led by front man Bret Michaels. Michaels is a man whom, when Burton Cummings sang, "for $37,000 you can look like your sister tonight," took it as a promise, not a warning. While he has, thankfully, ditched the spandex, he still shows up for song one in a three-quarter-length white fur coat and wide headband that makes him look like a cross-dressing version of Axl Rose. And Michaels wasn't so much born to rock as he was born to preach. He spends as much time centre stage feeding the eager crowd on tired clichés as he does actually singing.

"You know what this flag means?" Michaels asked the beer-soaked crowd, holding a large Canadian flag aloft. No, not freedom, democracy, fairness, peacekeeping. Not even hockey supremacy. But, "Canada . . . rocks." Huzzahs all around meant that Michaels had made his point once again. Brash, yes. Stupid, no.

Even Poison's handful of mid-eighties hits stood up well. Led by the hyperkinetic guitar work of C.C. Deville (a man who makes Alvin Lee sound like Wes Montgomery), Poison flipped through such trademark crowd-pleasers as Look What the Cat Dragged In, Talk Dirty to Me and Poison's own version of Loggins and Messina's Your Mama Don't Dance. (Yes, of all the classic rock songs in the world to cover, Poison picks this one.)

And while Poison didn't invent the concept of the power ballad, they certainly did perfect it. Numbers such as Every Rose Has Its Thorn and Something to Believe In had the crowd crooning along, and even a few Bic lighters made an appearance, just in case anybody forgot that this was, after all, an eighties band.

In case anyone missed the fact that Poison was the headliner, the band had a cute way of reminding both audience and undercard exactly who the top cats were. This was done by apportioning the stage depending on band value. With Poison's stage half-constructed at the outset, there was only limited space for the others to set up.

So, 6 p.m. openers Faster Pussycat virtually played on the lip of the stage. One false move, and they would have been part of the audience.

Second-billed Winger got a bit more room, but still had to perform in a line reminiscent of a 1700s British battle formation, while tertiary act Cinderella at least got enough of the stage to set up a few flash pots and such.

But when Poison appeared with their pyrotechnics, ramps and backing screen, it made the pecking order seem all the more obvious. Eighties Hair Metal may be a pretty small pond, but there could be no doubt whatsoever who the big fish were.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 01, 2002 13:21     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ba-Haah-ha! So sad!

I'm suprised Kip Winger is trying to "recapture the fire" so to speak... I thought he was moving into the progressive, world music/adult contemporary, Yanni territory.

This thread still has done nothing to convince me that glam is not dead!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan