my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Snake singing Eric era songs

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Snake singing Eric era songs
Twindummy
VoivodFan
Member # 15

posted June 09, 2002 22:30     Profile for Twindummy   Email Twindummy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After the show in Hamilton I had a chance to talk to Away about alot of cool stuff. One of the questions I asked him was if Snake would be singing any songs from the Negatron/Phobos era. Away said that they had no immediate plans at all for that. Snake actually likes the stuff and wants to sing some of the songs but for now Away and Piggy do not want to play those because of "bad memories". Away did mention however that he does have a tape of Nanoman with Snake singing from years ago. If anyone on this board has a tape of that please share with the rest of us, that would be a treat to hear. My personal opinion is that for now they probably will not play any stuff from the Eric era but I think they will eventually warm up to the idea and start doing them. Kinda like when Eric first joined they basically played the entire Negatron album live with a few of the classic oldies, then eventually they started doing songs like Fix My Heart and the Prow with Eric. Personally I'd like to hear Snake sing Nanoman and/or Forlorn for starters.

(By the way-I am listening to Radiohead "Kid A" right now and it is crazy)

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 09, 2002 22:52     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As long as they dont pull a "KISS" and try to make believe that anything between 1995 and 2001 never existed...

I think some songs like Cosmic Conspiracy would work out just fine with Snake on vocals.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 10, 2002 02:15     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck yeah! I'd love to hear Snake's take on the Eric era. I'd like to hear Nanoman, Insect, The Tower, Forlorn, Cosmic Conspiracy and Ion. Drift would be cool too.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 10, 2002 08:00     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder why the "bad memories?"
Twindummy
VoivodFan
Member # 15

posted June 10, 2002 08:28     Profile for Twindummy   Email Twindummy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I wonder why the "bad memories?"

My guess is it would be the accident and break up with Eric.

Blackguard
VoivodFan
Member # 61

posted June 13, 2002 12:57     Profile for Blackguard   Email Blackguard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snake singing Eric era songs ???
Never !! Snake don't have the voice to do it.
Admit it people, Eric's voice is much more powerfull than Snake's voice !!
Don't get me wrong here, I don't say Snake is not a good singer, but listen to Eric sing on 'Voivod lives' Snake can't do that I'm sorry.
I wonder why the band did not consider Eric for bass player ?? He could sing the songs from Phobos + Negatron and do backing vocals on older stuff. Nothing wrong in two vocalist in the same band, no ?? what do you think ??

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 13, 2002 13:34     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whaaaaat? Dude! Have you heard RRROOOAAARRR?!?! Snake's voice can be as powerful as he wants it! I think hearing him sing the Eric era stuff would be cool as hell! And I certainly hope they don't exclude those songs from their future sets as they wrote some very good stuff during that time period!

As for Eric not being included in this incarnation of Voivod... well there's the whole insurance lawsuit/post-accident thing that tends to complicate matters when working with people creatively. I asked the same question when I heard Eric was no longer a part of the band.

Right now, I'd say the chances of Blacky rejoining Voivod are better than Eric's coming back... Not that I would object to either of them filling the bass slot mind you, as unlikely as both scenarios are.

If you're a big Eric fan, check out his new project E-Force! Still in the early stages, but it shows much promise IMHO! E-FORCE!

Hey Foot,
Nice points! You posted while I was typing up my response to Blackguard.

[ June 13, 2002: Message edited by: X-D ]

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 13, 2002 18:35     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've said from the beginning that I would love to hear Belanger do his version of any song from Phobos or Negatron. The man sings like no other, and when combined with the other members of the band and their personal style, they can't be touched...that what makes Voivod...Voivod.

I personally liked Belanger after he found "his voice" and became original, instead of sounding like everyone, or anyone, else that sings/growls/rrroooaaarrrs.
He's got power, class, stlye.

I also like what Eric has created outside of Voivod, it's more adapt to his singing.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted June 14, 2002 09:05     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Snake could deliver a better sound on the Eric era songs. There's an originality there that's simply untouchable.
I listened to cuts from "Lives" but opted not to buy it because I didn't need to hear Eric massacre their best material.

That's also true about the bass on Negatron and Phobos. Eric's approach to bass comes from a guitar player's mindset. In addition, he was also the singer. Perhaps the most important note is that he "just isn't Blacky".

Blackguard
VoivodFan
Member # 61

posted June 15, 2002 16:11     Profile for Blackguard   Email Blackguard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mmmm... Roar is the only voivod album I don't have, maybe I should check it out !!
the only songs I know from this album is Ripping headache and Korgull the exterminator !
Maybe Snake can do it, But I can't imagine him singing "Insect".
I think saying that Eric massacre the old songs on "Voivod lives" is VERY exagerated !
I saw him in Montreal 1 1/2 years ago and man, you should hear him singing songs like The prow, Tribal conviction and Nuclear war on Voivod live is simply unbelivable !!
For the bass part, I'm not a musician so, I'll take your words for it.
I still think Eric have a better voice than Snake, but hey, I really like the "HEAVY" Voivod songs better so maybe that's why!
See ya !

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 15, 2002 20:18     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also think Snake should sing the E-era material, preferably in his own style. A combination of KT and Nothingface styles would be nice! As for Eric's singing on Voivod Lives, there's nothing wrong with it. He did a good job IMO.

BTW, what's a diaper genie? There's going to be one more Vodhead in my family soon...

Blackguard
VoivodFan
Member # 61

posted June 18, 2002 07:09     Profile for Blackguard   Email Blackguard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:
I also think Snake should sing the E-era material, preferably in his own style. A combination of KT and Nothingface styles would be nice! As for Eric's singing on Voivod Lives, there's nothing wrong with it. He did a good job IMO.

BTW, what's a diaper genie? There's going to be one more Vodhead in my family soon...

It's a garbage can for diapers only with bags who smell good !
Good luck with your new born !

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted June 20, 2002 09:42     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aha, I hope somebody will start importing those here too! Thanks!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan