my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Original Ratt guitarist Robin Crosby dies

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Original Ratt guitarist Robin Crosby dies
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 07, 2002 19:45     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(6/7/02, 2 p.m. ET) -- Robbin Crosby, one of the original members of '80s metal band Ratt, died Thursday (June 6) in his Hollywood, California, apartment at age 41.

Spokespeople for the Los Angeles Coroner were unable to confirm whether or not Crosby died of a heart attack, as has been reported, or if the guitarist's death is related to his eight-year battle with AIDS. Local paramedics reportedly pronounced Crosby dead at 11:15 a.m. PT. Crosby--the hulking, blond guitarist featured in videos for hit songs like "Round And Round" and "Lay It Down"--was born August 4, 1960.

Crosby spoke to LAUNCH in July 2001 while undergoing full-time AIDS treatments in a Southern California medical center. He was diagnosed in 1994, but because of the dormancy of the disease--which can be 10 years in some people--he doesn't know how long he had AIDS before it was discovered. Crosby recalled what went through his mind when he found out: "It was kind of odd. It took a while to sink in, like I kind of expected it or something after all the stuff I had done, you know, on tour. I was no-holds-bar--I had no reason to not--so, you know, I'm pretty sure that I got it on tour."

When Ratt fans learned of Crosby's condition, they began sending him a large amount of get-well notes and other positive messages. He told LAUNCH that he could never have imagined the impact he and the band had on people since 1983, when Ratt's self-titled EP was released: "It's unbelievable how much mail I get and it makes me realize just how many fans there are, and how many there must have been to be this many still now, you know? They wrote me just to, you know, wish me good luck. You know, that's gotta make you feel good. It just warms your heart--(it) warms mine."

Crosby was well aware of his condition and his prospects, but that didn't keep him from having a positive outlook. Back in March, he sent this message to his fans: "Things are looking up! I'm looking forward to working on new music. Without your strength I would be nothing. God bless you all. When time allows, we will be rejoined again in the sprit of rock and roll. I love you all! Here we go!"

Although there were strained relations between some of the members of Ratt, three of Crosby's former bandmates have written heartfelt statements about him. Drummer Bobby Blotzer called Crosby, whose nickname was "The King," "one of the most kind-hearted, the most compassionate, intelligent, talented, strong, I mean f--king strong like I could never be, humans to ever have the pleasure and to be lucky enough to have in our lives!" Blotzer, who with his family spent time with Crosby on Christmas Eve, continued, "I want everyone to know one thing here, too. Never once did any of us hear King complain about his situation...You have to understand something...The man was put through hell and never, ever bitched about it...The only peace I'm feeling right now is that he's out of the nightmare that has attacked him."

Former lead singer Stephen Pearcy wrote, "Robbin was a sweet soul, great talent, and he will be dearly missed, rest in peace "

Former bassist Juan Croucier, who remained very close with Crosby over the years, wrote, "To a King among men: Robbin, you will always be loved by those who knew you. I will always love you, beyond words. Your kindness and compassion, knew no bounds. Your heart was pure love. Your sprit was a gift to be admired. It was an honor to have been your friend. I will always cherish the many wonderful memories we shared together, over the many years. The world is a better place because of you. I wish you all the love in this world and all the peace in heaven. The pain and suffering is over. God bless you." Also sharing his feelings was Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx: "Lost two more warriors today. One was a king and a friend. One was someone I admired (Dee Dee Ramone). The rock 'n' roll band in heaven is sure getting bad ass. God bless…."

Crosby's funeral and memorial plans were unavailable at press time.

|  IP: Logged

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan