my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » the influence

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the influence
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted June 01, 2002 00:00     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I had to post something here about the band's influences, who and what inspired us. So I will try to do my best and go back to those years when we were in Jonquiere and were just starting out...

here is one of the first metal band which was very important and that we cover for a while (1980-82) and which remain one of the most obscure and unknown to this date.
holocaust
personal favorite song was: the nightcomers

[ June 01, 2002: Message edited by: blacky ]

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 01, 2002 05:50     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HOLY SHIT...I am now listening to "I Smash The Void" and can hear why and how this band influenced VOIVOD. This is GREAT MUSIC. I had heard of HOLOCAUST many years ago, but I had never listened to anything by them until now.

Looks like I have some cds to track down and buy

Thanks for the post Blacky...keep 'em coming.
I love getting my ears opened to new bands, especially those as good as Holocaust. It will be interesting to see what other groups were an influence!

NP:"FUNDAMENTALIST" damn, I hear the Voivod sound (and many others) coming thru this song.

I just finished listening to the last song I downloaded from MP3.com and was blown away, especially by the fact it took me this long to really find out about a band this good! I hear so many bands that were influenced by this group. RAGE (from Germany) sound A LOT like them.

[ June 01, 2002: Message edited by: schroeder ]

space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted June 01, 2002 11:06     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
interesting post. what kinds of music, if any, influences you these days? i always thought early Voivod had sounded somewhat like a punk rooted band, but they always had an extra edge on the guitar and bass sound that made them stand apart from other bands.
Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted June 01, 2002 12:02     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, during the early years, the Venom influence was BIG, right Blacky??? I know you listened to a lot of other stuff, but you must admit that Venom meant a great deal to Voivod... Later it became more obvious the influences from Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, etc. especially in Piggy...
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 01, 2002 16:50     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't forget Van Der Graff Generator! Away stated they were an influence in an article sonwhere here on the site.
Blacky, I was wondering if you guys listened to Wishbone Ash. The song Vas Dis on the Pilgrimage album totally sounds like Dimension Hatross era Voivod.
Also, what punk bands besides Dead Kennedys were you into?
How about electronic stuff like Skinny Puppy?

Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted June 01, 2002 22:07     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Skinny Puppy were amazing!!! Seen them live only twice but both times they blew me away.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 01, 2002 22:11     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always had a hard time taking them seriously (too much insider knowledge, I guess) but I always meet people from other places who were impressed by them... I did like their first EP though.
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted June 01, 2002 22:45     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not a very big fan of Skinny Puppy myself. I like them but I prefer Cyberaktif, Front Line Assembly, KMFDM and old Ministry.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 01, 2002 23:03     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Old Ministry RULES!
I also like the new Ministry.
Does anyone here know of the Ministry album:
'With Sympathy' 1983, Arista Records?
Its....New Wave music or something.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 02, 2002 05:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WITH SYMPATHY is a pathetic, lame, boring, waste of raw materials...but an interesting starting point for Ministry considering their next release would be so inflencial and heavy...comparing the two is like comparing shit with fillet mingon (assuming you are all meat lovers).
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 03, 2002 08:15     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just listened to all those Holocaust songs.

I'm impressed! Great stuff!
Now i have some MORE CD's to buy!

(Geeze, i'm goin broke here!)

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted June 30, 2002 00:54     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, I’ll try not to jump the gun here and go chronologically. (Each member of Voivod had their favorites, but I'm just trying to show the band’s influences.) So I named Holocaust, we played also some Judas Priest, some Venom and Motorhead, Pistols and GBH. Obviously some of those band were more influential than others, for instance Motorhead. I think everybody in the band was really into them, Piggy pretty much played every single Motorhead song as if he was Eddie (and very well), Away learned to play drum over Motorhead records, and me, man, Lemmy was God for me, how could I ever play that good (bad) ? Funny that I say that, but I think it is at that turning point that we started dropping the so call good bands and started looking at the bad guys as influences. It wasn't that black and white, but it sure was fun to think it was. At that time in Jonquiere, there were two bands, the good guys and the bad guys. We managed to fill the second slot, pretty much all the way. In regards of Venom, I personally couldn’t listen to them after we opened for them in NY in 1986(?), they were simply mediocre and very pretentious. But up until then they were ok, “Bursting out” was a good song to cover, lots of blank space to fill in which is always a good thing when you still at that learning stage. I personally learn my first song from a Judas Priest record, then AC/DC, I had no other choice. Piggy taught me a few trick, like how to tune your turntable instead of your guitar, using the pitch, that way you could go easy on the strings at $25 per set so why not. One thing, by doing that you have to choose which tuning to stick with, like for instance tuning at 440, I could play Judas, AC/DC, Iron Maiden (which I wasn’t really good at), but not Motorhead, they tune lower so I had to speed up the turntable, so playing Ace of Spade faster was very good practice... When the band got together we decide that we would tune like Motorhead, it just sounded BAD (Boosting Animosity Drastically, ).
From that era another obscure band that we liked a lot and also covered for a while was Tank, especially the first album “Filth Hounds” produced by Fast Eddie. Our favorite song was “Struck By Lightning.” If you don’t know it go find the record right away, you’ll see what I mean. They had a very unique sound, pretty much in the same vein as Motorhead. http://www.angelfire.com/dc/tank/filth.htm

[ June 30, 2002: Message edited by: blacky ]

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 30, 2002 06:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TANK kicked ass!!!

I haven't listened to TANK since the 80's and now I feel stupid for not doing so for so long. I had This Means War & Honour and Blood, and loved both releases. I had no idea they had released 3 other records. They always reminded me of Motorhead meets Molly Hatchet! As I'm listening to the various soundfiles from their site I can hear how they would be an influence to the VOIVOD sound. I'll have to reaquaint myself with TANK and get some cds for my collection.

Blacky, at what point did you feel Voivod became better than the bands that you were influenced from? When listening to Holocaust and Tank and the other bands you mentioned, I can see how Voivod developed their unique sound by blending all the inflences and adding something original...but then on Kiling Technology I think Voivod starting surpassing most of these bands (as far as good writting and creativity) and then on Dimension Hatross you left them all behind and became so original that no other band could touch you. I've always thought K.T. - D.H. - Nothingface - A.R. - T.O.L. were some of the best and most original albums ever created. Like King Crimson, Voivod is often immitated but NEVER duplicated. (just my opinion)

Thanks for posting.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 01, 2002 09:07     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its interesting how many differnt types of bands influenced VOIVOD but it's probably the main reason they sound so unique. They weren't just trying to immitate Motorhead, or or be Canadas answer to Venom... they were creating something very original that would not sound dated, and you can't do that by copying one band or one style of music.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 01, 2002 10:06     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The drummer from Tank lived across the street from me when I was growing up! Wonder what he's up to now...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan