my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » rediscovering CORONER (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: rediscovering CORONER
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 15, 2002 06:47     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi there,

i was at a friends home who owns all Coroner cd's and a copied them all (sorry!) I knew they were briljant in the mid '80s.

but they give me the shivers all over my body. Fuck, they really are briljant. I do not know why i missed the boat back then.
I guess i was to much into Celtic Frost, Metallica Anthrax etc.

How do you feel about Coroner??

I think the best one is Mental Vortex...

Tell me your favorite

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 15, 2002 07:05     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm like you Paul. I owned two of their albums in the late eighties and loved them. I haven't heard a Coroner tune in like 10 years. I got to get with the program.
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted May 15, 2002 07:23     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"No More Color" is the best IMO. AMong my all time favorites indeed. "Punishment..." is good either and then "Mental Vortex".

It's a shame they split up, Coroner gigs were always worth the attempt!

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 15, 2002 08:22     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am a little ashamed to say that i like Coroner more then Celtic Frost (musically speaking !!) If i remember correctly Coroner people were roadies for Celtic Frost when they must have thought "what they do we can do also"
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted May 15, 2002 08:37     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I don't think that's the exact story, even though it was simplistically put this way.
I think Coroner embarked on tour with Celtic Frost to see how things were like on the road and to gain a little experience of what's goin' on in the *rock'n'roll* industry.

Anyway, Coroner's music is more technical than Celtic Frost's, true, it's not a shame to say.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted May 15, 2002 08:41     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
How do 'Mental Vortex' and 'No more color' sound? I only have 'Punishment' and 'R.I.P.'.
Its excellent technical thrash. Oh and I saw them live around 1988.

"No More Color" is the logical evolution to "RIP" and "Punishment", the production is a little better. It's even better on "Mental Vortex", with lots of slower and cleaner parts, more accessible IMO.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted May 15, 2002 09:36     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's their latter efforts which I depicted as more accessible ("Mental Vortex" + "Grin"). "No More Color" is more in the vein of the 1st two. I strongly recommend that you check it out when you have the opportunity. Titles like "Read my Scars", "DOA", "Mistress of Deception" are excellent!

PS.
Like you, I still prefer "To Mega Therion" though. It's one I practised my chords on hard in my 6-strings forming days.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted May 15, 2002 09:54     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He Warcorpse, i am sending you the cd's from the european concerts i have put on cd and i will put along some coroner if you like.

It'll be about 10 cd's to send i guess....

Later,

Paul

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 15, 2002 10:41     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, old thrash...

Coroner? Bah. Punishment for Decadence was a good album... I didnt care for much of the rest... Mental Vortex is kinda watered down... Not bad, but it's no Punishment.

I've been on an old thrash kick lately, myself... I just ripped my Aggression - The Full Treatment LP the other day... i've been playin' this non-stop since then... and Shah - Beware (Wargasm clone but ah fuckin' well). Just for trivia, that Shah LP was on the Atom-H label... who made the logo? Yup, it's Away.

St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted May 15, 2002 11:20     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"No More Color" was a great album I thought. Also if I remember correctly, Martin Ain of CF wrote the lyrics on one of the tracks. It's a album worth adding to your collection.

-St. Michael

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted May 15, 2002 12:50     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, Coroner! What a great band! Like Paul, I too somehow missed them back in the '80s, I owe thanks to Nanzydon for hooking me up with most of their discography less than six months ago!

Now, my ears are open to lots of different kinds of music these days (much more so than in the '80s when I was thrash obsessed) and I don't think Coroner ever put out a poor album. Yes, there are aesthetic changes to each record, yet to me, all of it feels like natural progreesion for the band... And all records retain a a certain degree of heaviness and very little "verse/chorus/verse" pop music song writing techniques. All worth checking out IMHO!

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted May 16, 2002 07:11     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my favorite is *Grin*, for the scary ambience and the huge sound... but i like them all of course. =P
I found only recently the 'Death Cult' demo and it was quite a good surprise!
Seen them on the 'Grin' tour, it was amazing, one of those concerts i'll never forget; what a hell of a Drummer!!

Do these guys still play music?

Serpent
VoivodFan
Member # 43

posted May 16, 2002 10:34     Profile for Serpent   Email Serpent     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AAAAHHH, Coroner. That was one of my favorite bands in the 80's. I remember when I listen to their debutalbum when it was released. I couldn't believe my ears and fell in love with their music. Since then I bought every album as soon it was released and tried to catch them live as much as possible. Every tour they did after releasing an album I saw them with the exception of the first (RIP) and the last one (compilation).

The tour they did with watchtower (1990) I managed to shoot some pictures and if you are interested this is the link:
http://users.mm2k.net/alpharat/coroner/gallery.htm

Enjoy!!!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 16, 2002 11:11     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One thing i'll always remember about Coroner is when they were interview on Musiqueplus in 1990 or so when they were touring with Kreator and stopped by Montreal. Paul Sarrasin (the host, a total flamer) kept referring to them as Kreator... the drummer (Marky) kept sayin' "we're not Kreator, we're Coroner"... but Paul kept fuckin' up... then Marky stood up and faked smacked him upside the head "WE'RE CORONER! NOT KREATOR" *bang, bang, bang*.

I wish i had taped that. It was pretty funny.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 16, 2002 21:37     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Need some help here.
I have a Cover Song, 'I want you (She's so Heavy)'. (Beatles Song). The Tag says CORONER. I just did the CDDB and it says (amongst other Artists) a band called SPORE.

Is this Coroner, or not?
Dangitt! I'm confused right now.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 16, 2002 21:55     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Serpent for the great Coroner pics. Who was in the band in 1993? Was it the same original lineup? Just wondering since I know TT Baron went to Kreator.

Coroner did the I Want You cover song for RIP? I think that's right isn't it? Someone help me here.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 16, 2002 22:38     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think i just found the awnser to my question!

Here is a List of all the CORONER Songs there are (i think):
http://ubl.artistdirect.com/music/artist/songs/0,,417650,00.html

Just if anyone needs one.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted May 17, 2002 03:31     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
to Mezcalhead: CORONER kept the same line-up throughout their whole existence. It's only after they split up that Tommy T. Baron joined forces vith KREATOR.

to King_Kula: "I Want You" is a good cover from the BEATLES' song IMO, much more the sound I'm diggin. A couple of years ago we also did this cover with my band. Well, given the overall sound, it was more like a CORONER cover...

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted May 17, 2002 07:56     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'I want you (she's so heavy)' would be a good song for VOIVOD to cover.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 17, 2002 09:11     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, speakin' of the Beatles and the 'Vod... didnt they cover Revolution #9 once? I dunno, I think i saw this on an old Voivod site a few years ago? (i think it was Marcel Roy's Missing Sequences site.. whatever it was called, it's gone now)
I never heard it myself, but apparently it was on some compilation.. but then, that guy couldve been wrong, too (like he said Chemical Warfare on Morgoth Invasion was a Dead Kennedys cover... duh)

Maybe J-Y could tell us?

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted July 09, 2007 18:21     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I too am going back into the Coroner catalog. I bought Grin when it came out, and then their final compilation release. Just out of the blue I've decided to get into the older stuff. Mental Vortex is very good, No More Color is what I'm going to check out next...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted July 09, 2007 18:51     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:

I too am going back into the Coroner catalog. I bought Grin when it came out, and then their final compilation release. Just out of the blue I've decided to get into the older stuff. Mental Vortex is very good, No More Color is what I'm going to check out next...

You mean you haven't heard PUNISHMENT FOR DECADENCE yet??? Holy hell I wish I was in your shoes...I'd love to experience that one for the first time again.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 10, 2007 18:05     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow... Five years ago, I clearly hadnt heard GRIN yet.
evilsnef
VoivodFan
Member # 619

posted July 19, 2007 21:41     Profile for evilsnef   Email evilsnef     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i have the death cult demo 86 with Tom Warrior on vocals....
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 20, 2007 10:57     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thanos:

You can say that again, Superman!

I'm gonna crank "Grin" tonight in hommage to that!

--------------------

"Forty-five moments of perfection translated through a cautionary escape into the perils of the mundane, the inherent entropy in ultimate order, and the potential threats of eternal, unchecked apathy in civilization; all cloaked in musical expression so thoughtful, creative and forward thinking that almost a quarter-century later, few can even comprehend it, much less match it." (autothrall)

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan