my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » 20 YEARS OF METAL MADE IN QUÉBEC (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: 20 YEARS OF METAL MADE IN QUÉBEC
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 29, 2002 22:12     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From the metalmania website

quote:
Metal Made in Québec has existed since 1982, when the group Voïvod came into being. Now in 2002, Québec Métal is celebrating this 20th anniversary with the presentation of Weekend Extrême.

Friday, May 31st, at Medley
OBLIVION with guests QUO VADIS and GHOULUNATICS

Saturday June 1st, at Medley
CRYPTOPSY with guests MARTYR and NEURAXIS

Sunday June 2nd, at Café Chaos
HOWLING SYN, SOULFORGE, LIVA

In addition to the final show Café Chaos will host a series of Weekend Extrême theme activities on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. The program includes an Exhibition featuring 20 years of metal Made in Québec and also a Forum, bringing together a variety of personalities involved in this scene.

FORUM et AUTOGRAPHES... Samedi 1er juin (14h00 - 18h00) au CAFÉ CHAOS :

Christine Fortier (CISM FM, Journal VOIR), Chantal Lemire (CFNJ FM), Christian Marcoux (COOL FM), Louise Girard (SANG FRAIS), Mathieu Gervais (METALMANIA), Rémi Côté (GREAT WHITE NORTH RECORDS), Stéphane Mellul (PRODUCTIONS BCI) ainsi que des membres de la SOPREF, LOCAL DISTRIBUTION, X-TREM MUZIK et l'ÉDITION MÉTALLIQUE.

DBC à 16h00
OBLIVEON à 17H00

Dimanche 2 juin (14h00 - 18h00) au CAFÉ CHAOS: Simon Girard (CIBL FM), Danko Todorov (CISM FM), Patrick Dumas (THE DARKEST HOURS), Christian Marcoux (COOL FM), Louise Girard (SANG FRAIS), Rémi Côté (GREAT WHITE NORTH RECORDS), Stéphane Mellul (PRODUCTIONS BCI), Maurice Richard (PRODUCTIONS ROCKATAK) ainsi que des membres de MÉTAL QUÉBEC et l'ÉDITION MÉTALLIQUE.

VOÏVOD à 16h00
CRYPTOPSY à 17h00

Au Chaos c'est gratos!

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Noitall ]

|  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 25, 2002 14:59     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

I'm going to see Cryptopsy on June 1 at le Medley, I expect to have a sore neck the next day.

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Noitall ]

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 26, 2002 12:23     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll probably be watching this one from the balcony. I'm not meek, but I don't expect there to be much breathing room on the floor. Is anyone going to the Voivod autograph signing on Sunday? (I'm not, I don't like getting autographs--unless they're endorsing a cheque that is.)
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted May 26, 2002 12:40     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not going to that Weekend thing. Interest = none. Do i feel like being surrounded by a bunch of mullet-heads? No. thank you drive thru.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted May 26, 2002 22:41     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nuthin I like better than a big mullet-fest. Okay free tickets may have something to do with it, usually I avoid festival type deals.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted May 27, 2002 16:31     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did someone say mullet? That's the Georgia state haircut.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 02, 2002 21:48     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, I didn't really dig the growly vocals of Cryptopsy, but overall they put on a good show.

I did end up going to the autograph session but just to look at all of the cool memoribilia -- there was even a Lizard tape. Does anyone else remember that band? Johnny Hart was there, he had tons of old stuff, Agression, Oblivion, Voivod, etc. Check out his website (still under construction though).

[ June 02, 2002: Message edited by: Noitall ]

Britny
VoivodFan
Member # 32

posted June 02, 2002 22:37     Profile for Britny   Email Britny     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
Okay, I didn't really dig the growly vocals of Cryptopsy, but overall they put on a good show.

I did end up going to the autograph session but just to look at all of the cool memoribilia -- there was even a Lizard tape. Does anyone else remember that band? Johnny Hart was there, he had tons of old stuff, Agression, Oblivion, Voivod, etc. Check out his website (still under construction though).

[ June 02, 2002: Message edited by: Noitall ]

When Piggy signed your breast, did he remember his favorite bus flower?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 02, 2002 22:44     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, that's quite a contribution Britny. How long did it take you to think of that one? The whole time your were on the toilet?
Britny
VoivodFan
Member # 32

posted June 02, 2002 23:04     Profile for Britny   Email Britny     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually that was Dizzy's contribution. You know he's got a weird sense of humor. He finally let me into his hotel room-I detest Motel 6!- I got to cut him off my laptop. He's been on it ever since he threw the tv into the parking lot. I need a ticket out of Pasadena!
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted June 03, 2002 10:46     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where was everyone, i was expecting to get mobbed, not able to even get into the cafe chaos... but still it was interesting to see that most of the people that showed up are now way over 30. after what, 5 years since last time i met the rest of the original members, it was nice to see them all there, million thanks to Maurice Richard to after all those years never losing his touch and to be able to put out a festival like this. He is definetly the real star.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 03, 2002 10:52     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... now i'm thinkin', maybe i shouldve went...
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 03, 2002 11:19     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, I would have been there for sure. WOW! Meeting my metal heros. Especially if the Blackened One was there. Yeah, I'm wondering too, Blacky meeting the others after 5 years. This is too much.
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted June 03, 2002 11:34     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He was just asked by his old manager (Maurice) to do it... even though Away didnt want that the first meeting of the whole original band to take place in public. I dont think there's more to this than that. Basically it was a favor, for the fans.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 03, 2002 20:42     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/reseau/arts/0206/art_102060104041.html

An article from the Saturday, June 1 issue of La Presse (which used a photo with Eric from '99) on the 20 years of metal in Quebec event - interestingly it closes with the comment that Voivod are working with both Jason and Jello Biafra - and that maybe this will put Quebec metal back on the map...

quote:
Voïvod

Le métal québécois est né en 1982 d'un «big bang» nommé Voïvod, groupe encore et toujours cité en référence par des métalloïdes d'ici et d'ailleurs. Car le groupe de Jonquière n'a pas traîné dans les bas-fonds montréalais. War & Pain, son premier disque, est paru deux ans plus tard sur une étiquette américaine. «Il ne faut pas oublier queVoïvod est arrivé au début d'une vague, en même temps que les Slayer, Metallica et Anthrax, rappelle Maurice Richard, qui fut le premier gérant du groupe. Le timing était bon.» «On a vraiment eu notre part d'attention au Québec dans les années 1980, mais c'était la même chose à l'extérieur de la province, confirme Michel Away Langevin. À un moment donné, on passait plus de temps en Allemagne qu'ici.» Du point de vue commercial, Voïvod n'a jamais explosé. Son plus grand succès, Nothingface - album sur lequel on retrouve sa fameuse reprise d'Astronomy Domine de Pink Floyd - s'est vendu à 300 000 exemplaires. Reste que sa rapide ascension a marqué les esprits. Surtout, elle a lancé un message clair: pour survivre, le métal québécois doit s'exporter. «C'est plus facile d'aller se faire connaître en Europe et de revenir au Québec, dit Sébastien Breton, batteur du groupe Liva. En tout cas, c'est ce qu'on se fait dire et on a envie de le faire.» Sans dire que le métal québécois surfe depuis 20 ans sur la réputation de Voïvod, l'exemple demeure, indéniablement.

Snake, Piggy et Away travaillent actuellement à deux projets différents avec l'ex-Metallica Jason Newsted et Jello Biafra, figure mythique des Dead Kennedys. La publicité entourant ces projets pourrait-elle remettre Montréal sur la carte? Voïvod serait-il encore une fois la solution?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 03, 2002 21:22     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/reseau/arts/0206/art_102060104041.html

An article from the Saturday, June 1 issue of La Presse (which used a photo with Eric from '99) on the 20 years of metal in Quebec event - interestingly it closes with the comment that Voivod are working with both Jason and Jello Biafra - and that maybe this will put Quebec metal back on the map...

[QUOTE]Voïvod

Le métal québécois est né en 1982 d'un «big bang» nommé Voïvod, groupe encore et toujours cité en référence par des métalloïdes d'ici et d'ailleurs. Car le groupe de Jonquière n'a pas traîné dans les bas-fonds montréalais. War & Pain, son premier disque, est paru deux ans plus tard sur une étiquette américaine. «Il ne faut pas oublier queVoïvod est arrivé au début d'une vague, en même temps que les Slayer, Metallica et Anthrax, rappelle Maurice Richard, qui fut le premier gérant du groupe. Le timing était bon.» «On a vraiment eu notre part d'attention au Québec dans les années 1980, mais c'était la même chose à l'extérieur de la province, confirme Michel Away Langevin. À un moment donné, on passait plus de temps en Allemagne qu'ici.» Du point de vue commercial, Voïvod n'a jamais explosé. Son plus grand succès, Nothingface - album sur lequel on retrouve sa fameuse reprise d'Astronomy Domine de Pink Floyd - s'est vendu à 300 000 exemplaires. Reste que sa rapide ascension a marqué les esprits. Surtout, elle a lancé un message clair: pour survivre, le métal québécois doit s'exporter. «C'est plus facile d'aller se faire connaître en Europe et de revenir au Québec, dit Sébastien Breton, batteur du groupe Liva. En tout cas, c'est ce qu'on se fait dire et on a envie de le faire.» Sans dire que le métal québécois surfe depuis 20 ans sur la réputation de Voïvod, l'exemple demeure, indéniablement.

Snake, Piggy et Away travaillent actuellement à deux projets différents avec l'ex-Metallica Jason Newsted et Jello Biafra, figure mythique des Dead Kennedys. La publicité entourant ces projets pourrait-elle remettre Montréal sur la carte? Voïvod serait-il encore une fois la solution?

[/QUOTE]

What I found interesting was when they mentioned "C'est plus facile d'aller se faire connaitre de Europe et de revenir au Quebec"... Fascinating...

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 03, 2002 21:27     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would say that the case for most Canadian artists. For one thing, we expect people to make a name for themselves outside of the country. It's also much easier to tour in Europe where you can do a bunch of dates with less travel in between stops because it's so densely populated. And then when Canadian artists want to make money they go to the States in search of major label distribution.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted June 03, 2002 21:38     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

I was trying to be funny there sweet Noitlady. Like my dumbass can read French. Ha, Ha.
But thanks for the translation.

Gotcha!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 03, 2002 21:42     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, okay, so you're not that smart after all. hee hee!
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted June 03, 2002 22:02     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm from Texas! I'm a dumbass too!
Dont leave ME outta this!

...wheres my weed?......

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 04, 2002 12:49     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, us Americans generally tend to be a bit dim with the whole multi-language thing... I understand ebonics quite well though.

Thanks for the heads up Mezcal!
I tune out for a couple of days and something very cool such as this happens! Damn Blacky, please share some details of this brief reunion with us!

I am assuming somebody took pictures of this special occasion as well?

Sometimes it just sucks living in Seattle... so far away from Vodville! But hey, we have the EMP and I can go see Jimi Hendrix's shirt, or Johnny Rotton's old leather jacket, anytime I want! Wow, great! (insert sarcasm here) Ahhh... sigh.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted June 04, 2002 16:44     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VODVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's a great place!!!
I haven't heard anyone use that before.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted June 04, 2002 18:45     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Louise Girard et ? (

Link to some Weekend Extrême photos posted by Louis-Charles (no, none from the autograph session though) - http://communities.msn.ca/quebecmetal/weekendextrme.msnw?Page=1

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted June 04, 2002 19:06     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh man, somebody get me a copy of that Obliveon cd! That's the "best of" final release thing isn't it!?

Thanks for the link there Noitall!

ericTHEpinch
VoivodFan
Member # 54

posted June 04, 2002 22:00     Profile for ericTHEpinch   Email ericTHEpinch     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yes this is the best of cd of OBLIVEON you can buy it online at: http://www.metalmania.qc.ca in the catalogue section.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan