my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » interesting article

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: interesting article
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted April 25, 2002 06:05     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi there, when i was looking on the internet i found this site, interesting interwiew with Away back in '96.
http://www.hellfrost.com/voivod96.html

Paul

|  IP: Logged
JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted April 25, 2002 06:13     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"the red lake" near "le pont noir"?
Thanks paul - that was cool!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 25, 2002 16:07     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for posting that link Paul.
quote:
As far as bass players are concerned, how would you compare Erik Forrest to your former bassist Blacky?

Away: I don't know, it's pretty hard to tell. I think Blacky had a distinct style that was influenced by Motorhead I think. Eric is more into...his approach is more modern, like Sepultura or Biohazard. More hardcore. I don't know how to explain it because I am not a bass player, but I think Blacky's roots were more in 80's metal and Eric's are more in the 90's.

I wonder if this means the new Voivod will be going back to an 80's sound because Newstead was schooled in the 80's too, so to speak. Thoughts?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 25, 2002 19:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Warcorpse wrote: So I think Jason forgot where he went to school. I've have an uneasy feeling about his involvement.

I think Jason is just exploring different aspects of music, and does what fits in with the goup he's playing with. Echobrain is opening shows for Gov't Mule who are an incredible band, if you haven't heard them you should check 'em out.
I think Newsted will do whats right for the Voivod sound ...the man has talent! Don't hold the Metallica thing against him. He's also doing that death metal band where's he's the guitarist/singer that I'm sure sounds totally different from Echobrain.

You don't grow as a player if you play the same style all your life...do you?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted April 25, 2002 22:14     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
By the time Newsted gets to 'add' anything the album will probably be written and just need bass line recorded. He probably won't have much involvement in helping write the songs...he's too busy with other projects, and I'm sure the other 3 will not hold back putting down ideas and writting new material for him to grace them with his presence.

I can understand your concern however.

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted April 26, 2002 00:03     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks schroeder, eye opener there, i dont think he was dissing blacky but more or less trying to promote eric and their new albumn ? . I really like the tree part"i always knew Away was this sorta dude
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted April 26, 2002 19:29     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a question.

That RED LAKE that Away talked about.
Where is it? I mean...What is the name of the Town Away & Piggy grew up in?
How far North of Montreal is the Town?

I have seen it mentioned somewhere...but i forget & want to locate it on a Map.
I'm a Map-buff. Like looking at them & dreaming, etc. If there is ONE Country i could go live in...it would probably be New Zealand. I love that place!

Anyways. Can anyone tell me the awnser?
Thanks!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 26, 2002 20:12     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The name of that place is Junky-town, haw haw, just kidding, c'est Jonquière! - http://www.ville.jonquiere.qc.ca It's about 4 hours north of Montreal and just east of Chicoutimi on your map. And to further confuse you I think the cities have been merged now so new maps will just probably just say Saguenay. That red lake is a boxite site (the leftover crap from the alumunium manufacturing process), so that's why it's red.

New Zealand is an awesome country, I'd like to go there for awhile.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 26, 2002 23:59     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks NoitAll for the VV hometown link. I was always fascinated by this Red Lake. I remember Away talking about it in the first interview I ever read of the band. What a strange place to grow up in.

BTW, Spike told me he wants to meet your puppy.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted April 27, 2002 21:55     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No problem Mezcal, and Kula all of the original members grew up in Jonquiere not just Away and Piggy. I don't think it's that much of a strange place, it's like a lot of northern Canadian towns that are based on an industry.

my dog is old and blind and afraid of cats, especially cats named spike. or hammy.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan